Women's World Cup Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

The Couch

Über Member
A milestone at the Giro Rosa yesterday as Japanese champion, Mayuko Hagiwara (Wiggle Honda), won the first ever stage for Japanese rider in a GT and, although this article doesn't make this claim, I think it's the first GT stage for an Asian rider...

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/hagiwara-makes-history-at-the-giro-rosa
Yep... and it was the first day that Vive le Velo got the video in time to show the highlights :okay:

The Couch

Über Member
Congrats to Van Der Breggen to have won the Giro Rossa

Also... there was a nice "scoop" at Vive le Velo yesterday, Etixx is going to (co-)sponser Topsport Vlaanderen ladies.
Funnily enough, the presenter had asked Mack Coucke last year, why he isn't sponsoring women cycling and Coucke had said that he was going to look into the possibility of it... and 1 year later :smile:

...of course, there are company interests involved, since they will use the team to test sports drinks (selecting nutritional combinations, flavours,..), branding for amateur women cyclists,... , but nevertheless any sponsor willing to commit (especially one that is also involved in men cycling) is to be applauded

Buddfox

Veteran
Guarischi did the double this weekend, winning in London on Saturday evening (which I saw mentioned in the Minor Races thread - men's and women's cycling on a par now...?) and then won today at the Giro Sparkassen. Not bad for two day's effort.

Armitstead continues to lead the World Cup (I think) having placed 11th.

A "dramatic end" to the World Cup today - today's win and overall victory to Lizzie Armitstead
http://velonews.competitor.com/2015...ls-armitstead-to-overall-world-cup-win_383149

CNmwWS2W8AAnVgD.jpg

Last edited:

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker

Buddfox

Veteran
Hearty congratulations to Lizzie but it does feel a little like a case of while the Vos is away the mice will play. Still, you can only race against the people who are there. So, if I read that link correctly, Lizzie will be the last ever winner of the World Cup.

Maybe, but Armitstead won overall as well in 2014 when Vos was competing so she's beaten her before. For sure Lizzie may not be a better rider, but she's shown commendable consistency across each season, and she can only beat who's there.

Buddfox

Veteran

Top Bottom