Woodcote CX sportive

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

VamP

Banned
I'm no flyweight at 12.5 stone and I have NEVER pinched clinchers at 30 psi. At 25 yes, but never at 30. Sounds like the main threat is flint slicing the casing rather than pinch flats anyway.

It's just my opinion, but I'd rather have grip and slightly higher risk of punctures, than no grip.

Howard

Fair point about the Tufos - I've heard really good things about their sealant, too. I've run Mud 2s at 25ps and felt the rim more than once, but never actually pinched them. But that's in the context of a bog standard cross race, not an 80k sportive, where I assume you don't have spares in the pits :smile:

I'd do it on tubs if I had a support car ;)

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
This is not far from me. I have done a CX sportive, I don't have a CX bike, is it all riding, or will I need to get off and carry the bike?

More stupid questions to come, after this break.

OP
OP
jdtate101

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
It's all riding, but mixed terrain. Some roads, woodland, lots of mud and technical downhill sections (think loose dirt and small rocks). Last yr I saw people mostly on either cross or mountain bikes. Did see one or two on road bikes with 28 tyres and one guy on an old chopper :laugh:.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
It's all riding, but mixed terrain. Some roads, woodland, lots of mud and technical downhill sections (think loose dirt and small rocks). Last yr I saw people mostly on either cross or mountain bikes. Did see one or two on road bikes with 28 tyres and one guy on an old chopper :laugh:.

Thanks for the reply, I have just shown the event site to my wife and she fancies doing too. I have a Whyte Coniston, would that be fit/strong enough frame to do it?

http://www.whytebikes.com/2012/bike_page.php?ModNo=W-1-016-12

With these tyres?

WTB All Terrain Comp 700 x 35c, Folding with Flat Gaurd and Reflective Sidewall and Flat Guard

OP
OP
jdtate101

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
Thanks for the reply, I have just shown the event site to my wife and she fancies doing too. I have a Whyte Coniston, would that be fit/strong enough frame to do it?

http://www.whytebikes.com/2012/bike_page.php?ModNo=W-1-016-12

With these tyres?

WTB All Terrain Comp 700 x 35c, Folding with Flat Gaurd and Reflective Sidewall and Flat Guard

You should have no problems with that steed. Sign up and come out to play in the mud :wahhey:

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
You should have no problems with that steed. Sign up and come out to play in the mud :wahhey:

Ta, what about the tyres?

U

User19783

I did the 40k this year , love it, already booked on for January, but this time , doing the 80, can't wait.

RhythMick

Über Member
I'll Google the event but I really fancy doing a CX. It's on my 50th birthday too!

I have a choice of steeds.

Bachelor 1 is a CAADX with 700 x 35mm Marathon Plus tyres. My road, trail and commuting workhorse.

Bachelor 2 is my Yeti Arc, recently bought second hand and well equipped fork wise. 26" currently with all round 1.95" commuter tyres on it but I have a pair of WTB Raptors I've yet to try out.

I'm thinking the Yeti would be best?

Top Bottom