Woodcote CX sportive

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paul.G.

Just a bloke on a bike!
All signed up and ready to go. Just recieved my new Challenge Limus 33's from Wiggle and plan to give them a good muddy test this weekend.

U

User19783

There are mighty good tyres,
you will be
right up there,
Which one distance are you doing? And how Long do you think it will take you ?

Paul.G.

Just a bloke on a bike!
I'm doing the 60k route, how long it will take is difficult to say as there are too many variables. I live in the area around where the ride is centred and whilst it's not too hilly, some of the tracks get very muddy (hence the new tyres) and of course there is always the chance of a mechanical so I'm not going to tempt fate by saying how long just in case. If youve not done this event before then you will certainly enjoy it.

U

User19783

Nice one.
When I did it this year, there was many, mending punctures, I was lucky, had no problems, I did the 40 km in 2 hours and a bit more, that was first cx sportive, hopefully next January I will be fitter, as I am doing the 80, if I finish within 4:30, I will be happy,
Anyway I wish u the best .

U

User19783

I just looked at my old thread about this event in January,
Sorry Paul.G. I now understand why you brought those lovely tyres,
Good luck see you at the start.

Paul.G.

Just a bloke on a bike!
Went out this morning to give the new tyres a test, all the rain gave me plenty of opportunities to test them out on deep mud. I have to say they are brilliant, loads of grip and clear the mud easily however, I did get a bit carried away and managed to come off twice which was a little embarraising as each time there just happened to be someone close by to see me go a** over t*t !!

I did intend taking them back off once I had tested them and save them for Woodcote but sod it, they are staying on, far too nice to have hanging in the garage.

Gareth C

Veteran
Total fail at the moment: had the MTB out last two weekends, but the cross bike hasn't seen duty recently and even the commuting hasn't happened for last two weeks due to Christmas dos. Actually, I tell I lie, I took the cross bike for a longer than needed explore north of Windsor and Slough to fetch the car after a Christmas do - was quite nice through the woods.

As I'm only doing the short route I'm hoping this, plus anything done over the holidays will get me around the route. How hard can it be?

OP
OP
jdtate101

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
As I'm only doing the short route I'm hoping this, plus anything done over the holidays will get me around the route. How hard can it be?

I did the 60K last yr as was shattered by the end. It's so much harder than doing 60K on the roads, trying to go uphill is the mud is just energy sapping, plus it didn't help that it was freezing fog either.

Gareth C

Veteran
I did the 60K last yr as was shattered by the end. It's so much harder than doing 60K on the roads, trying to go uphill is the mud is just energy sapping, plus it didn't help that it was freezing fog either.

Oh dear! The "how hard can it be?" was somewhat tongue-in-cheek - if you've ever read any of Mick Fowler's climbing books, such comments in the planning stage normally precede some suffer-fest of horrific proportions. I think you've just confirmed that's what I can expect...

OP
OP
jdtate101

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
Oh dear! The "how hard can it be?" was somewhat tongue-in-cheek - if you've ever read any of Mick Fowler's climbing books, such comments in the planning stage normally precede some suffer-fest of horrific proportions. I think you've just confirmed that's what I can expect...

Oh, but it's what we do for fun......right?

Howard

Cross bike's in for repairs, both head tube bearings and bottom bracket have gone. BB has lots of play and head bearing is "crunchy". Got some new Vittoria XG tyres that should help out, not really tested them in the mud yet.

The joys of BB30. Get some kind of ceramic hybrid bearing if you don't want to have to pop your cranks off after every muddy ride to clean the water and gunk out. Water pools in between the bearing shields and the bearing, and in the shell itself - double trouble. Going to try a liberal coating of Phil grease as a barrier.

Top Bottom