Woods valve....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have a workcycles Fr8. Bought new earlier this year.
Now have first puncture and need to fix it. Any idea why it has woods valves? Tyres are Vredestein Moiree 54-559 (26x2.10).
Also, how on earth do I inflate it with a Woods valve? We have a Joe Blow with presta / schrader options; hubby's tried once to inflate it with the pump but can't see what the pressure is when inflating.

Thanks!

compo

Veteran
Just a thought for the future if tyre pressures are so important. A Schrader valve will also fit the hole in the wheel rim without issue.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Some German bikes still fit Woods valves - Kallkhoff is one.

They are a nuisance, it can be difficult to get a pressure reading, I think because of the way the pump forces the air through the valve.

As others have said, it should be straightforward to change to schrader tubes.

Davidc

Guru
No one bothered about presures when those were normal. If it felt hard and the rim didn't touch the road the pressure was high enough.

They were also called Dunlop valves at one time.

Thread should be same as Presta and hole as Schraeder. Stick £4 worth of replacement tubes in as suggested already.

tyred

Legendary Member
They are perfectly functional in use and tyre pressure isn't such an issue on a tyre that wide anyway.

Chris S

Legendary Member
I've got Woods valves on my Batavus. They're permanently one-way so you can't get a pressure reading off them.
The Presta head of a pump will fit. You can even swap the innertubes for Presta's if they really annoy you.

Top Bottom