Woodworking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Anyone do much woodworking on here?

I've just started to make a chess table for my partner. it's going well but the more I do, the more I think "I could have done that better".

I've stopped this project temporarily whilst I make a proper bench. My problem is the dust. I try to attach my hoover to the table saw and the sander, but they don't really fit.

I think I'm going to invest in a proper dust extractor

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Only for doors, frames, skirting and so on. Used to create lots of balsawood dust making RC planes but that was a few years ago now.

Hoovers are generally useless for dust extraction, they only work briefly before their filters can't cope. I'd imagine a 'Henry' may be slightly better, but it it's a long term thing then a proper extractor is the way to go.

Anyone do much woodworking on here? I've just started to make a chess table for my partner. it's going well but the more I do, the more I think "I could have done that better". I've stopped this project temporarily whilst I make a proper bench. My problem is the dust. I try to attach my hoover to the table saw and the sander, but they don't really fit. I think I'm going to invest in a proper dust extractor
sounds intricate, how's in coming along? what kind of sander do you use? on a pedestal?

I do a lot of fitting bits of wood contruction to uneven walls in my house. Made a plant pot holder and a garden shed. Just contructed the door out of abandoned For Sale sign posts.
My new Aldi palm router is the latest fun tool but mostly use hand tools. Have a nice collection of chisels from my dad and from car boot sale.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I would have loved to have got into it when I was young. My dad was a carpenter/joiner and I asked him a few times to teach me some of his skills, but every time he said "Col, you are bright - you should work with your head, not with your hands!" Then my younger sister got married and he promptly started teaching my b-i-l carpentry!

It turned out that working with my head did my head in! It would have been great to have done this kind of thing instead...

That would be so therapeutic and satisfying. I think I am maybe too old to start now though... :sad:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
sounds intricate, how's in coming along? what kind of sander do you use? on a pedestal?
Sounds like the only one thats going on a pedestal is @Electric_Andy ’s partner :smile:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Lots. From age 13 to 18 I was at a school that had a really excellent woodwork shop and an inspiring teacher. I did a lot of woodturning then but now it's mainly cabinet making in MDF. Back then, really good timber was quite easy to find. Now it's either rubbish or very, very expensive.
I have a fair bit of equipment and tools inherited over time but I'm dreadfully short of space these days.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
Anyone do much woodworking on here?

I've just started to make a chess table for my partner. it's going well but the more I do, the more I think "I could have done that better".

I've stopped this project temporarily whilst I make a proper bench. My problem is the dust. I try to attach my hoover to the table saw and the sander, but they don't really fit.

I think I'm going to invest in a proper dust extractor
I make some bits, only easy things like chopping boards. I bought a Titan vacuum from Screwfix (about £70), you plug your power tool into it and it only sucks when the tool is on, so cuts down on a lot of noise. Luckily the vacuum tube fits my power tools reasonably well, although I do add some tape to one of them. However I try to do as much work outside as possible and don't bother with the vacuum then.
The way to go is a cyclone extractor, they seem relatively easy to make, but I haven't got round to it, I probably don't create enough dust to warrant one.

newts

Veteran
I recently made a rough & ready truing stand from scraps of plywood & aluminium channel from a shower door.
1607548221623.jpeg

OP
OP
E

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I got the squares as even as I could on the table saw, then been using an orbital sander. I also have a hand held belt sander but it's a bit harsh and uneven for finishing. I've just made a cross cut sled for the saw so i might start the chess board again now i can do more accurate cuts

Lots. From age 13 to 18 I was at a school that had a really excellent woodwork shop and an inspiring teacher. I did a lot of woodturning then but now it's mainly cabinet making in MDF. Back then, really good timber was quite easy to find. Now it's either rubbish or very, very expensive.
I have a fair bit of equipment and tools inherited over time but I'm dreadfully short of space these days.

I had a pretty rubbish teacher and wood workshop full of blunt saws; I spent a decade and a half afterwards thinking I was incapable of woodwork when in fact I was merely badly taught.

I managed to complete a cabinet makers apprenticeship in 2014, and I now work in a wood workshop with people with disabilities where I frequently make a few of my own projects...

Top Bottom