Woodworking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
E

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I made 3 planters a couple of months ago, yacht varnich to finish them. My partner is very pleased with them. I also made her a squirell picnic table and a bird nesting box. Trying to use up all the bits of wood I now have (not enough left for a larger project and I want to clear the garage now). I've decided to combine two of my hobbies; I just finished 42121 Lego Technic set (Excavator) and my aim is to make floating shelves for all the finished kits and glue on some scenery (trees, mounds of earth etc)

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
For those who frequent the Bassist and Guitarist thread, you'll know I'm currently trying to turn a chopping board into a musical instrument.

I also built a shelf for my DVD collection a good few years back, the idea being that the DVD boxes stand proud of the shelves so you don't really see them, but with bits of the shelving protruding through the boxes...

I couldn't decide whether to paint it or oil/wax it... so have done nothing to finish it.

But i do have a load of veneers so might have a play with those to cover the ply edges one day.

Drago

Legendary Member
Yes timber is very expensive now.
You're not wrong, the wood used in my garage rebuild cost twice what I had anticipated.

It seems a couple of wet winters on the trot has affected production in Scandinavia, and thats limited supplies to geographical Europe. The price of remaining supplies has gone skyward as a result.

You're not wrong, the wood used in my garage rebuild cost twice what I had anticipated.

It seems a couple of wet winters on the trot has affected production in Scandinavia, and thats limited supplies to geographical Europe. The price of remaining supplies has gone skyward as a result.

That's one of the issues that has affected us too, and we're right on the edge of the Black Forest. The local sawmill owner attributes it more to cartel like behaviour on the part of some of the big European mills.

Apart from this there seems to ba slight shortage of non-sugar free caffinated beverages.

plantfit

Guru
I've just started to get into a spot of woodwork, basic tools stuff,sander, jigsaw, drill etc and somehow managed to come up with a jig doll in the shape of a frog (sort of) he's about 26 cm tall with loose joints for "jigging" on a flexible board, he's made from old pine and had a first coat of outdoot colour varnish followed by acrylic colour paint and a final coat of spray on clear lacquer, eyes were bought off a selling site for a couple of quid for a hundred mixed sizes

Juhre

Regular
Looks beautiful, creative!!

Proto

Legendary Member
Today was day 2 (of 5) for me of Woodworking Skills 1 course at Lyme Regis Boatbuilding Academy. Pretty basic stuff - preparing material, marking out, how to use chisels, planes, saws, etc and how to make simple joints.

Fabulous instructor makes everything look easy but it’s not, it’s farking difficult! gaps in joints, things not flat, but it’s a start. I’ll probably books Skills 2 and get my workshop sorted and start simple projects - simple bookcase, cupboard, picture fra and suchlike.

Attachments

• 470BD78A-FA4E-4746-AC8D-0BFE7E825F66.jpeg
    470BD78A-FA4E-4746-AC8D-0BFE7E825F66.jpeg
    68.3 KB · Views: 8
  • FDAF371C-89FE-4AF9-AB34-7B739A42A75B.jpeg
    FDAF371C-89FE-4AF9-AB34-7B739A42A75B.jpeg
    72 KB · Views: 9
  • DEDCCA24-9AD5-45BA-8B28-2401482F4AD7.jpeg
    DEDCCA24-9AD5-45BA-8B28-2401482F4AD7.jpeg
    86.2 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Today was day 2 (of 5) for me of Woodworking Skills 1 course at Lyme Regis Boatbuilding Academy. Pretty basic stuff - preparing material, marking out, how to use chisels, planes, saws, etc and how to make simple joints.

Fabulous instructor makes everything look easy but it’s not, it’s farking difficult! gaps in joints, things not flat, but it’s a start. I’ll probably books Skills 2 and get my workshop sorted and start simple projects - simple bookcase, cupboard, picture fra and suchlike.
Excellent work! :notworthy:

Top Bottom