Woodworking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

newts

Veteran
I got the squares as even as I could on the table saw, then been using an orbital sander. I also have a hand held belt sander but it's a bit harsh and uneven for finishing. I've just made a cross cut sled for the saw so i might start the chess board again now i can do more accurate cuts
Crosscut sled will be good for accuracy & safety👍

OP
OP
E

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I finished my first project. Very pleased with the outcome, considering I made lots of mistakes. Instead of starting again, I tried to hone my skills and cover up all the gaps and blemishes. Next one I make I can learn from it and make a far better job in half the time.

Attachments

• 20201230_084421.jpg
    20201230_084421.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 18

Alex H

Legendary Member
I've done a fair bit over the years - this is my latest

A couple of months BC (before Covid) I resumed my interest in archery (only a 45 year gap :smile:). Did the course and had a few weeks of fun before lockdown. Just before it all kicked off, I had re-equipped myself with a new bow and associated bits. Needed a stand though and didn't think the modern metal ones really went with what is essentially a poor man's longbow. So I made one. Oak, from bits I had lying about - no metal involved.

OP
OP
E

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Yes timber is very expensive now. I used studwork timber for all mine which was 3 quid for 2m at Wickes. I did buy some redwood for the dark chess squares, that was something like 19 quid for 2m (50mm x 50mm). It's a shame when you see lots of oak being cut up for logs, but I guess milling it into boards is the expensive part

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I finished my first project. Very pleased with the outcome, considering I made lots of mistakes. Instead of starting again, I tried to hone my skills and cover up all the gaps and blemishes. Next one I make I can learn from it and make a far better job in half the time.
Two things i took from my C&G course were;

1 - if it looks right, it's right.
2 - it's not a case of not making mistakes, but knowing how to sort them.

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I've done a fair bit over the years - this is my latest

A couple of months BC (before Covid) I resumed my interest in archery (only a 45 year gap :smile:). Did the course and had a few weeks of fun before lockdown. Just before it all kicked off, I had re-equipped myself with a new bow and associated bits. Needed a stand though and didn't think the modern metal ones really went with what is essentially a poor man's longbow. So I made one. Oak, from bits I had lying about - no metal involved.

1609340138047.png
Nice!

PS Looking at the shelf behind... You might enjoy the film Puzzle! I watched it on Netflix a few days ago. A bored housewife discovers the joys of competitive jigsaw puzzling... I didn't even 'know it was a thing'!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
We don't make mistakes, we have learning experiences.
But there are some learning experiences you don't want to have... :okay:

My dad for example, though he'd had 40 years experience working with wood, still managed to cut the top cm of his RH middle finger off on an electric planer! He learned that even an old pro needs to stay vigilant. (He didn't actually understand how he had done it, but he must have got distracted and made a mistake.)

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Yes timber is very expensive now. I used studwork timber for all mine which was 3 quid for 2m at Wickes. I did buy some redwood for the dark chess squares, that was something like 19 quid for 2m (50mm x 50mm). It's a shame when you see lots of oak being cut up for logs, but I guess milling it into boards is the expensive part
Just a thought, but would 200+ year old timber still be workable? Old brown furniture is still going for next to nothing at auction; people prefer to buy expensive tat from Ikea or Oakfurniturelandland.
Here's a couple of lumps, probably not particularly old, but look like solid oak, which went for £18 hammer at a local auction just before Christmas.
Arthur Johnson & Son | The Saturday Auctions 19th December 2020 | Lot 284
and two George III mahogany chests of drawers for £40 and £50 respectively:
Arthur Johnson & Son | The Saturday Auctions 19th December 2020 | Lot 258
Arthur Johnson & Son | The Saturday Auctions 19th December 2020 | Lot 259
It seems almost sacrilegious to break them up for raw materials, but a damn sight cheaper than sourcing new wood of similar quality.
A George III inlaid oak corner cupboard is coming up at another local auction on 13th Jan. Tatty and battered, with an estimate of £20 to £30:
Mellors & Kirk Live Auctions | Fine Art, Antique & Collectors Sale | Lot 761 (mellorsandkirk.com)
(Other lots, and indeed auctions, are available).

But there are some learning experiences you don't want to have... :okay:

My dad for example, though he'd had 40 years experience working with wood, still managed to cut the top cm of his RH middle finger off on an electric planer! He learned that even an old pro needs to stay vigilant. (He didn't actually understand how he had done it, but he must have got distracted and made a mistake.)

Indeed. I'm also responsible for client's safety in the workshop, so I have to be watching multiple places at once.

That said, I know of one wood workshop which has predominantly long term stable alcoholics where they are allowed to be over the drink driving limit when working, because under that they can't work...

OP
OP
E

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Just a thought, but would 200+ year old timber still be workable? Old brown furniture is still going for next to nothing at auction; people prefer to buy expensive tat from Ikea or Oakfurniturelandland.
Here's a couple of lumps, probably not particularly old, but look like solid oak, which went for £18 hammer at a local auction just before Christmas.
It seems almost sacrilegious to break them up for raw materials, but a damn sight cheaper than sourcing new wood of similar quality.
A George III inlaid oak corner cupboard is coming up at another local auction on 13th Jan. Tatty and battered, with an estimate of £20 to £30:
Mellors & Kirk Live Auctions | Fine Art, Antique & Collectors Sale | Lot 761 (mellorsandkirk.com)
Yep good idea thanks. I like the idea of recycling. Sadly i don't have a vehicle big enough to transport anything like that. But i think that's often the reason why sideboards etc sell for very cheap, because no-one has room for them or room to collect. But if i see something smaller come up locally I'll be right on it!

Alex H

Legendary Member

I've made garden planters out of studwork (Homebase tho' - if I can find straight bits :rolleyes:). As for the cost of real wood, when we bought a place in France in 2004, I made a couple of tables and a sink unit out of French Oak (bought it there, made the pieces here and took them back). The cost in the UK was twice the cost in France. :ohmy:

Maybe. Wood veneer has been around a long time, so some "oak" furniture could be another wood underneath.

The dark oak of some older furniture was traditionally brought about by leaving the wood in an ammonia rich environment -traditionally in the rafters of a cow shed- for a long time. I'm not sure what you'll find when you cut into that, and I'm fairly sure you can't sand it away.

On the other hand, if you get some wood this way, it has the advantage it would be properly dried assuming it was used indoors, so you'll have minimal trouble with it shrinking or expanding.

Top Bottom