Wool cycle jerseys

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Yes i know it's another topic on jerseys but if you don't ask you'll never find out.:blush: Do any of you have, or have any of you had a marino wool cycle jersey? i've noticed a few retro jerseys looking quite smart...but very expensive, around the £100 mark! I was looking around a decent local cycle shop this afternoon, they had a few in stock. I was on the verge of buying one when i asked the shop owner about their supposedly superior quality, he was an honest bloke because he said they weren't worth it, therefore he lost out on a good sale. He said that they were too sweaty, held water too much and lost their shape after a few washes. Now i've read the opposite, obviously the manufacturers and sellers will tell the opposite, they talk about their "superior wicking quality", and their comfort and softness as opposed to "sweaty polyester".
Any thoughts or opinions please?:thumbsup:

Herzog

Swinglish Mountain Goat
Yes i know it's another topic on jerseys but if you don't ask you'll never find out.:blush: Do any of you have, or have any of you had a marino wool cycle jersey? i've noticed a few retro jerseys looking quite smart...but very expensive, around the £100 mark! I was looking around a decent local cycle shop this afternoon, they had a few in stock. I was on the verge of buying one when i asked the shop owner about their supposedly superior quality, he was an honest bloke because he said they weren't worth it, therefore he lost out on a good sale. He said that they were too sweaty, held water too much and lost their shape after a few washes. Now i've read the opposite, obviously the manufacturers and sellers will tell the opposite, they talk about their "superior wicking quality", and their comfort and softness as opposed to "sweaty polyester".
Any thoughts or opinions please?:thumbsup:

I've the Woolistic G.S. Cinzano one and love it. Combined with base layer it's suitable for coldish days, whereas on it's on in summer it keeps me nice and cool. I've no doubt non-merino jerseys would do the same (I happened to like the style of it).

Mine was expensive but worth it. After a couple of years of reasonably regular wearing it's kept it's shape, still wicks sweat away from my body, and it's not faded.

All in all, very happy.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I have a plain black Planet X one. As above - keeps you warm when it's cold, but you don't overheat when it is warmer. Washes well - machine at 30', and has kept it's shape. Doesn't seem to get as smelly as synthetic ones. Would buy another.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Decathlon were doing a special on them......not specifically for cycling as they don't have the rear pockets but cheap (think they were £15 each) so I got 2 for golf. Quite good really.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
I'd like to be able to buy nothing but merino or sportwool blends with the usual provisos. If wool bothers your skin then it's a non-starter, they need to keep shape through a 30 degree machine wash and they need to be relatively hard wearing.

I had one from Planet X which didn't fair well on its first wash and they refunded me, I wouldn't buy again.

I have 3 base layers and a longsleeved jersey from Rapha and they have been superb.

I have a custom jersey from http://www.oregoncyclewear.com/woolcyclingjerseys.html which has also been superb

On a long ride I can put out a powerful amount of sweat and regular jerseys can start to ming even part way through a ride. No matter how well you wash them it's almost like a bit of freash sweat just releases some previously stored ponginess. This isn't an issue with merino though I still don't re-wear stuff, ride and then wash every time. I've not notice any problems with wool when wet it still keeps me warm though I accept that it won't dry out as fast as a synthetic.

From an aesthetic viewpoint then I think wool jerseys look much better off the bike as well.

zizou

Veteran
100% merino tops are really good as baselayers but sportwool (which is a mix of merino and man made fibres) hold up a bit better as an outer jersey.The rapha ones are expensive but they have a nice cut, good features (like the type of pockets the zip guard at the neck) and feel lovely on plus -and this is more subjective- they look pretty nice too.

shutt and torm offer similar sportwool products at a slightly cheaper price.

screenman

Legendary Member
Just shows there are people in bike shops who do not have a clue what they are talking about, who would have thought that.

Merino and loving the stuff.

stumpy66

Veteran
Just bought a torm jersey (T1)and arm warmers look great quality and sizing seems spot on. Will be buying the long sleeve version and base layer for later in the year

Top Bottom