Woolwich Foot tunnel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
Does anyone use this ? Is it still under going renovation ?
Last time I used it there weren't any lifts working.
I need to get to Bromley South and that is 4 trains for me, so cycling 21 miles looks much faster except for this section.

I need to get to Bromley South and that is 4 trains for me, so cycling 21 miles looks much faster except for this section.
Woolwich ferry if not?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
It's been open for a while now. Not sure of the lifts. If you don't fancy it the ferry is only a stones throw away.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
The lifts have been renewed but I can't promise that they'll be working when you get there. In theory, they should be bedded in by now but not old enough to have become unreliable. All you need now is a theoretical bike.....

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
If you are coming from essex to Bromley south, I would recommend the Dartford bridge. Has a nice bike transfer truck that carries you and your bike across for free and is a nice ride to Bromley from there.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
If you are coming from essex to Bromley south, I would recommend the Dartford bridge. Has a nice bike transfer truck that carries you and your bike across for free and is a nice ride to Bromley from there.

But depends what time you get there as now it's to a set timetable. Out of time and you will have a 2 hour wait.

Brains

Legendary Member
You could also look at using a train for one leg of the trip, so that you don't have a 42 mile round trip.

You have three options
Essex into Liverpool st and cycle from there
or cycle to London Bridge and train from there
A third option would be to cycle to the Greenwich foot tunnel (Lifts are working) then onto Lewisham, and catch the train from there

Recycle

Über Member
Is the Woolwich foot tunnel the same design as the Greenwich tunnel? When I was a regular user of the Greenwich tunnel the lifts were persistently unreliable so lugging the recumbent up or down the stairs was routine. Not great, but doable.

Recycle

Über Member
Reading a little more on the Woolwich tunnel and the options are the same as the Greenwich tunnel. The lifts have been refurbished but expect to port your bike up or down the stairs at least once or twice a week, reliability is a problem. The inconvenience of the portage is not worth diversion to another route. Cycling is not permitted in the tunnel which is a bit of a bugger with road cleats.

I liked the Greenwich tunnel, because unlike other Thames crossings, it's not a target for cars so the approach to the crossing is less congested. Makes for a nicer commute. I would expect the Woolwich tunnel to be the same. Best thing is to do a dry run on a weekend and see how you like it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom