Words that annoy me for no particular reason.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Don't think Iv'e ever heard "cut about". Is this a Herts thing??

Not that I know of, but "cut about" is popular in the Army and with ex Army types, as is "rock up". Fairly recent I think, the last 20 years or so.
So a young Cavalry Officer might cut about the garrison in his mustard trousers, before rocking up at the mess. It's definitely leeched into civvy life.

Have we had 'cheeky pint' yet?

Probably.

Yes probably.... I know we've definitely had a cheeky Nando's. Both as infuriating as each other.

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
Tummy - no reason I just hate the word.

What about these people that say And Also have they any idea that all you really need to say is" also" Its like saying logistic freight carriers making longer sentences than really need be? Of course it could just be me being picky. Oh Not going out on the bike today as too cold, "" and also"" too foggy plus fed up with nutter drivers :cursing:

RichardB

Slightly retro
"I was like ..." to mean "I said."

"So, I was like nyerrrrr, and she was like nyerrrr, so I was like Gerrof and she was like Make me, so I was like You and whose army, and she was like Oooh get her, and ..."

Another one that really boils my p*** is "So I turned round and said ..." to give, I assume, an element of drama to a very mundane story.

RichardB

Slightly retro
I keep hearing 'snuck' in,when referring to goals on football match commentaries. Surely it's sneaked in.🤔

An example of the creeping Americanisation of English. This year, I have heard several younger people refer to 'fall' rather than autumn. Nothing wrong with that, of course, but with the explosion of digital media the use of American English is now unstoppable. I'd be prepared to bet that in 50 years' time it will take an expert to distinguish between an American and a British native speaker.

OP
OP
PeteXXX

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
An example of the creeping Americanisation of English. This year, I have heard several younger people refer to 'fall' rather than autumn. Nothing wrong with that, of course, but with the explosion of digital media the use of American English is now unstoppable. I'd be prepared to bet that in 50 years' time it will take an expert to distinguish between an American and a British native speaker.
Fall, being the Olde English word for Autumn until we sent it to America and started using the Latin rooted French word?
But I know what you mean 😉

[ "snuck" ]

An example of the creeping Americanisation of English.
I'm no fan of using American terms, but I just think it's a nicer word - at least for informal use!

RichardB

Slightly retro
Fall, being the Olde English word for Autumn until we sent it to America and started using the Latin rooted French word?
But I know what you mean 😉

Exactly. Which is why I said 'nothing wrong with that'. Quite a lot of the Americanisms which annoy some Brits were normal usage in 17C English (which is the version the settlers took across with them) - 'gotten', for example. (I've heard people complain about 'gotten', but are quite happy to use related words like ill-gotten and forgotten, which have remained in Standard English.)

Top Bottom