Words that annoy me for no particular reason.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
PeteXXX

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
It riles me when someone says that they Google something..

Use the word 'Search', you muppets!! It's not difficult, is it!!

"optics"; unless it is used thusly:

Optics is the branch of physics that studies the behaviour and properties of light, including its interactions with matter and the construction of instruments that use or detect it. Optics usually describes the behaviour of visible, ultraviolet, and infrared light.

OR:
Optic, an alcoholic spirits measure, a device for dispensing fixed amounts of alcoholic spirits

AuroraSaab

Veteran
"optics"; unless it is used thusly:

Optics is the branch of physics that studies the behaviour and properties of light, including its interactions with matter and the construction of instruments that use or detect it. Optics usually describes the behaviour of visible, ultraviolet, and infrared light.

OR:
Optic, an alcoholic spirits measure, a device for dispensing fixed amounts of alcoholic spirits

I agree. 'Have you considered the optics?' is an annoying Americanism for 'that doesn't look good..' which is even creeping into UK news reporting.

figbat

Slippery scientist
This is a sensitive area. If you shorten British to brits you are generally on safe ground. Do the same with Pakistani though and you could be in trouble. I guess it is the context and intent to offend which make the difference.

In unrelated news, "segue" really winds me up. Even though I know how it is pronounced, no matter how many times I read it (which is actually pretty infrequent) I still can't associate that written word with the spoken pronunciation. Maybe it's because I'm not familiar with Italian - I usually have no issue with French words that have an unphonetic pronunciation.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
This is a sensitive area. If you shorten British to brits you are generally on safe ground. Do the same with Pakistani though and you could be in trouble. I guess it is the context and intent to offend which make the difference.

In unrelated news, "segue" really winds me up. Even though I know how it is pronounced, no matter how many times I read it (which is actually pretty infrequent) I still can't associate that written word with the spoken pronunciation. Maybe it's because I'm not familiar with Italian - I usually have no issue with French words that have an unphonetic pronunciation.

Yup, context, and power play is usually at the root.
And who adopted the term, in the first place. .

The Brits, created Brits yes??

The shortened for of Pakistani, wasn't created by the people against whom it was used as a perjorive.

Although some people from that region have reclaimed the word, for themselves so as to diminish its power to offend, or diminish.

Agree re segue, I've heard it pronounced several different ways, so not 100% sure myself about it.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Agree re segue, I've heard it pronounced several different ways, so not 100% sure myself about it.
A now-defunct personal transport company muddied the waters a bit by naming themselves Segway, which many then believed was the spelling of the word segue. The anglicised version is "seg-way" although the Italian places a little less emphasis on the final "y" and ends the word like "wet" without the "t".

Top Bottom