Words that annoy me for no particular reason.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It’s an only fools and horses joke. Using foreign words incorrectly whilst trying to look clever.
thanks - rings a bell - pretty sure the bike shop owner did know its meaning - I think he may have had a private education of some sort - hence his disabling snobbery.

RichardB

Slightly retro
Just watching a news report online about primary schools. The teacher referred to the children as 'guys' ffs!!:rolleyes:

I'm old-fashioned enough to discriminate between pupils (up to 16-18) and students (16/18+). People in the profession refer to primary school kids as 'students' these days, and I really don't get it. 'Guys' is just achingly trendy, down-wiv-da-kidz-man pathetic.

I'm old-fashioned enough to discriminate between pupils (up to 16-18) and students (16/18+). People in the profession refer to primary school kids as 'students' these days, and I really don't get it. 'Guys' is just achingly trendy, down-wiv-da-kidz-man pathetic.
she/he probably calls them kids/pupils/students/children/darlings etc on other occasions, and in written comms. The crime of using the variety of the English language!

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
More of a question than an annoyance. My local council has had a 'buy local' publicity stunt thing going on for the last few years. My question is shouldn't it be buy locally not local?🤔

Last edited:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
A BBC journalist on Monday's evening news suggested that the Government "needs to go quick on this". Why mangle a perfectly good word for some misplaced attempt at yoofspeek?

Top Bottom