Words that annoy me for no particular reason.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RichardB

Slightly retro
More of a question than an annoyance. My local council has had a 'buy local' publicity stunt thing going on for the last few years. My question is shouldn't it be buy locally not local?šŸ¤”
A BBC journalist on Monday's evening news suggested that the Government "needs to go quick on this". Why mangle a perfectly good word for some misplaced attempt at yoofspeek?

All my life, I have been hearing my mother, a primary school teacher, on this one.

"Local - LY!"
"Quick - LY!"

Totally ingrained.

In the spirit of balance and not finding a thread for words that delight for no particular reason, Codpiece.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
I'm old-fashioned enough to discriminate between pupils (up to 16-18) and students (16/18+). People in the profession refer to primary school kids as 'students' these days, and I really don't get it. 'Guys' is just achingly trendy, down-wiv-da-kidz-man pathetic.
The other day I found my old bus pass from the 1975/76 season. It described me as a scholar, no less (I was at a Basingstoke comprehensive).

If we are including phrases and similar - what about when you call a call centre and they say the waiting time is long because of 'high demand'

NO IT ISN'T
the waiting time is long purely and simply because the company running the call centre have not paid for enough people to be answering phones

I used to work on computer systems for the call centres of a large company - they had a policy of answering ALL calls within 10 seconds
sometimes shorter
No excuses were accepted - ever!

Nowadays the same company have been able to let that drift - mostly because peoples' expectations have been for a much longer waiting time

but it can be done - the place where I worked had meetings every week where they discussed what resources (people and computers and anything else) to meet the requirements for the following week - and in the few weeks after that
The TV schedule was an important part of that - advert break in Corrie was always the main problem

but they could do it then so they could do it now!!!

sorry - bit of a rant - I may have mentioned it to some people on the phone at times as well.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
If we are including phrases and similar - what about when you call a call centre and they say the waiting time is long because of 'high demand'

NO IT ISN'T
the waiting time is long purely and simply because the company running the call centre have not paid for enough people to be answering phones

I used to work on computer systems for the call centres of a large company - they had a policy of answering ALL calls within 10 seconds
sometimes shorter
No excuses were accepted - ever!

Nowadays the same company have been able to let that drift - mostly because peoples' expectations have been for a much longer waiting time

but it can be done - the place where I worked had meetings every week where they discussed what resources (people and computers and anything else) to meet the requirements for the following week - and in the few weeks after that
The TV schedule was an important part of that - advert break in Corrie was always the main problem

but they could do it then so they could do it now!!!

sorry - bit of a rant - I may have mentioned it to some people on the phone at times as well.
I particularly like the ones where you have to call again & again, for whatever reason, and every time you're told they're 'experiencing unusually high call volumes'. Well they can't be that unusual, seeing as you've been experiencing them on every one of the last eleven calls I've had to make.

I particularly like the ones where you have to call again & again, for whatever reason, and every time you're told they're 'experiencing unusually high call volumes'. Well they can't be that unusual, seeing as you've been experiencing them on every one of the last eleven calls I've had to make.
Thank you - that was the phrase I meant to use - I missed out the 'unusually' part - which is kinda important!

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Not a word,it's a phrase that annoys me. "There you go",which is even worse when said in a patronizing way.

What does 'there you go' actually mean? I know what they mean when they say it,but i can't fathom why those particular words are used in that context? šŸ¤”

Top Bottom