Words that annoy me for no particular reason.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Playbook
Roadmap
Am surprised that roadmap is still trundling on.
I remember corporates putting in press releases donkeys years ago. Then journalists picked up on it. I well remember standing outside a soho pub and nattering to a tech journalist who used it. Almost lost my pint. Surely not long for this world?

OP
OP
PeteXXX

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Do we still have football managers 'setting out their stall'?

I don't have any great interest in the game, but that used to really annoy me when I heard it uttered!

The only people who should be setting out stalls is Market traders and boot fair people.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
I know nothing about sport in general but I've always wondered why those largely over weight drunk blokes in pubs when football is on and they seem to know everything! They are missing a trick not employing these people. 😁

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
I know nothing about sport in general but I've always wondered why those largely over weight drunk blokes in pubs when football is on and they seem to know everything! They are missing a trick not employing these people. 😁

My late father, some time ago, acted as a consultant for a well-known Edinburgh football club who wanted to upgrade their floodlights.

Upon successful completion of the project, the directors thanked him for his help and advice, to which his response was "I've been offering advice from the terraces for the last 30 years, and it's the first time you lot have taken it!".

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Do we still have football managers 'setting out their stall'?

Ah yes. Also, they used to set out their stalls "early doors".
Why "doors" I wonder? I get that the earliness of "early" may not be quite descriptive enough somehow of just how early the stall-setting is being done, but "doors"? Does "doors" add to the earliness quotient? Can you accuse a tardy friend of being "late doors" when he's more than just a little late?
I've never, in my life heard the phrase "early doors" outside the whole Ron Atkinson-era football manager speak.

Another phrase you only ever hear being used in the wrong context in a football setting is "stonewall" when describing a penalty. Considering that stonewall can mean either (a) to deliberately avoid / filibuster a particular political question or enquiry, or (b) to be generally uncooperative or evasive, or (c) literally, a wall made from stones, it seems an odd phrase to use to mean "a certainty". But for football fans, a penalty claim for their team is always a "stonewall penalty".

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
When I was touring we used the term early and late doors if sound check finished before we expected and late doors if the band over ran their time.

Ah yes. Also, they used to set out their stalls "early doors".
Why "doors" I wonder? I get that the earliness of "early" may not be quite descriptive enough somehow of just how early the stall-setting is being done, but "doors"? Does "doors" add to the earliness quotient? Can you accuse a tardy friend of being "late doors" when he's more than just a little late?
I've never, in my life heard the phrase "early doors" outside the whole Ron Atkinson-era football manager speak.

Another phrase you only ever hear being used in the wrong context in a football setting is "stonewall" when describing a penalty. Considering that stonewall can mean either (a) to deliberately avoid / filibuster a particular political question or enquiry, or (b) to be generally uncooperative or evasive, or (c) literally, a wall made from stones, it seems an odd phrase to use to mean "a certainty". But for football fans, a penalty claim for their team is always a "stonewall penalty".

Another classic phrase only used in football that grips my craw is ‘The boy done well’ instead of ‘The boy did well’.

Actually, not sure where ‘Grips my craw’ comes from. Or even, what a craw is? :ohmy:

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I remember comms calls asking if we were set for doors from front of house staff. It was wether to start letting punters in the building or opening street doors to ensure hasty exit punters when show finished.

Thanks! So it's a theatrical / musical term, seems to work in that context.
Stall-setting, less so.

Top Bottom