Words that annoy me for no particular reason.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Poor old Johnny Depp and his Savage advert in the US desert. He would never cut it as a gravedigger or gardener so just as well the acting gig is working out for him.
When we see that advert on TV we adopt a deep, sexy accent and say "Sau-saaarge".

be0255aa567548a8ad5e74d66c86cd4e.jpg

RichardB

Slightly retro
I'm gonna form a stylish post-grunge band called
Savage Homage

It will drive radio announcers bonkers.

Back in the day, When Jimmy Young was a 'yoof' DJ on the new Radio 1 (cancel that, 7 years too early, it was the Light Programme) I can remember him pronouncing the title of the Shadows' hit as Appash. I'd only ever heard the word as Apachee so I thought it was just an affectation. It was only much later that I learned of the other meaning of Apache (Paris street ruffian) and its distinct pronunciation.

But yes, anything that might confuse a radio presenter is good for me. I propose Farage's Foraging Cottagers as a first move.

Mind you, in my head I always read Les Miserables as a story about Lesley who was never happy, so I am no authority.

OP
OP
PeteXXX

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I'm on the horns of a dilemna, here!!

How can I ask for Fromage Frais without sounding faux francaise?

Maybe just pop it in the basket, I suppose..

MntnMan62

Über Member
I can't stand it when people who have no ability to argue for their point then turn to telling the other person that they are making "ad hominem" attacks. Usually these people have a 5th grade education and then use some latin to try to make themselves sound intelligent. Yeah. Great.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
That is definitely a safer approach. :okay:
In fact I just looked up the meaning of soupçon and it wasn't quite what I thought it was - it means "suspicion" so people who do use it are also employing a little linguistic artistry as well as foreign language.

Used figuratively as in "add just a suspicion of spice."

MntnMan62

Über Member
I kind of like the word "cheers". It has it's appropriate moments. And this coming from a yank. Go figure.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
And 'homage', pronounced in the French way ommarzh by pretentious arty-farty types. There's a perfectly well-established English pronunciation which rhymes with 'garage' (for those who pronounce garage correctly as garridge, of course).

I mean, you don't start your day with a bowl of porrarzh, do you?
Any sensible person knows that porridge and garage don’t rhyme.

End of. Mike drop!
"there is nothing left that you can say, so the debate is over". 😁

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I kind of like the word "cheers". It has it's appropriate moments. And this coming from a yank. Go figure.

Cheers dude.

I'd be drunk all day, everyday, if I had a drink everytime someone in my vicinity said, or even wrote cheers :rolleyes:

Might be fun to give it a go one day though. :cheers:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I'm on the horns of a dilemna, here!!

How can I ask for Fromage Frais without sounding faux francaise?

Maybe just pop it in the basket, I suppose..
I was going to say..

Just pop into your local grocery emporium, you know the one with a door with a tinkly bell that rings, when you enter, and ask the jolly fellow in the straw boater behind the counter for "Half a pound of your finest frommige frays, my good man" :okay:

I can't stand it when people who have no ability to argue for their point then turn to telling the other person that they are making "ad hominem" attacks. Usually these people have a 5th grade education and then use some latin to try to make themselves sound intelligent. Yeah. Great.
a bike shop owner trying to counter my entirely justified complaint about him overcharging me for a fair old time once continued the argument into the street and then manically screamed "caveat emptor" at me two or three times, followed by what he thought was a triumphant "you don't know what it means do you"?
I think he thought he'd been better educated than me, possibly thrown by my lancashire accent.
Needless to say I never returned to Mr Fawlty's shop.

the modern variant of that is folks using some twitterphrase, that will deader than latin more quickly.

Top Bottom