Words that annoy me for no particular reason.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I am now determined to use shagran in conversation today.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Soupçon
That's the other nasal 'n' word that annoys me..
No how would you have it? If you go with "soopsonn" you acknowledge the French ç and pronounce it Frenchly. If so, then why not commit to the whole French and soften the 'n'? If you are determined to Anglicise it then surely it'd be "soopkonn" and we can do that very British thing of road-rolling foreign words by simply snipping off those misunderstood diacriticals.

On the subject of anglo-foreign pronunciations there's always the ever-annoying "Ibeetsa" and "choreetso".

OP
OP
PeteXXX

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
No how would you have it? If you go with "soopsonn" you acknowledge the French ç and pronounce it Frenchly. If so, then why not commit to the whole French and soften the 'n'? If you are determined to Anglicise it then surely it'd be "soopkonn" and we can do that very British thing of road-rolling foreign words by simply snipping off those misunderstood diacriticals.

On the subject of anglo-foreign pronunciations there's always the ever-annoying "Ibeetsa" and "choreetso".
I would avoid Anglicising it by never saying it!!
Sorted.. 🤗

figbat

Slippery scientist
I would avoid Anglicising it by never saying it!!
Sorted.. 🤗
That is definitely a safer approach. :okay:
In fact I just looked up the meaning of soupçon and it wasn't quite what I thought it was - it means "suspicion" so people who do use it are also employing a little linguistic artistry as well as foreign language.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
That is definitely a safer approach. :okay:
In fact I just looked up the meaning of soupçon and it wasn't quite what I thought it was - it means "suspicion" so people who do use it are also employing a little linguistic artistry as well as foreign language.

I am so pleased I have never used that word (and got it all wrong) :rolleyes:

RichardB

Slightly retro
"Fragrance" with similar pronounciation in an advert .

And 'homage', pronounced in the French way ommarzh by pretentious arty-farty types. There's a perfectly well-established English pronunciation which rhymes with 'garage' (for those who pronounce garage correctly as garridge, of course).

I mean, you don't start your day with a bowl of porrarzh, do you?

And 'homage', pronounced in the French way ommarzh by pretentious arty-farty types. There's a perfectly well-established English pronunciation which rhymes with 'garage' (for those who pronounce garage correctly as garridge, of course).

I mean, you don't start your day with a bowl of porrarzh, do you?
Poor old Johnny Depp and his Savage advert in the US desert. He would never cut it as a gravedigger or gardener so just as well the acting gig is working out for him.

Top Bottom