Words that annoy me for no particular reason.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Derogatory terms are only really offensive when applied to oppressed or marginalised people.
Would it also be necessary to not be a member of the group of people being offended against, ie a “Brit” referring to other British people as “Brits” could not be construed as derogatory, or, offensive? Or, perhaps, I am missing something?

However, aren’t all these words (birds, girls, Brits, etc) off topic, since they are not “annoying for no particular reason”, quite the reverse in fact. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Would it also be necessary to not be a member of the group of people being offended against, ie a “Brit” referring to other British people as “Brits” could not be construed as derogatory, or, offensive? Or, perhaps, I am missing something?

However, aren’t all these words (birds, girls, Brits, etc) off topic, since they are not “annoying for no particular reason”, quite the reverse in fact. :rolleyes:
'To' implies externally.
All threads go off-topic at times, like conversations.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Derogatory terms are only really offensive when applied to oppressed or marginalised people.

Mmn, not totally sure about that.

You can be offensive to anyone - if you're careless enough.

But I cetainly think that those with more power should exercise greater restraint, and consideration. with regard to their choice of words.

Punching down, is particularly graceless.

Can't say I've ever been aware of 'The Brits' being truly 'marginalised' though ...

Of course you could argue that we've just enacted a great 'self marginalisation'..

But let's not go there perhaps.. :sad:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I think you are safe from offence by the term "birds" unless living in a very peculiar time warp, or some pastime involving custard.
"Girls" is quite often used by women, particularly when on some collective mission.
I used to know some female of fairly advanced years who would sometimes refer to herself as a "girlie", even though she was quite capable, as I at least once reminded her, of throwing me and other men through a window.

There's a difference between referring to oneself as something, and referring to others as same though, isn't there..

You might mutter to yourself about being a #&£@5'id 4=%')ot, because you forgot your office keys.

But you wouldnt feel so happy about someone else saying same.

There's a difference between referring to oneself as something, and referring to others as same though, isn't there..

You might mutter to yourself about being a #&£@5'id 4=%')ot, because you forgot your office keys.

But you wouldnt feel so happy about someone else saying same.
losing me in the dogma pond wars here - not come across women using the term girls against themselves as a term of abuse.
In fact quite the opposite.
I'll defer to the wondrous cindi

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIb6AZdTr-A

Clearly about grown women for there are references to the working day
caution - in addition to some dodgy choreography, contains the word "boys"
(I was disappointed to find out a few years ago that she didn't write it, a bloke/boy wrote it but I have no reason to think that it was a sly tool of self subjugation. Quite the opposite.
There are of course many many other non loaded/negative uses of the term (easily found) so no need to be offended this bright morn.

OP
OP
PeteXXX

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
'Chagrin', when pronounced with a nasal 'n' at the end.

Unless you are French, of course..

There's another word like that, too, but I can't think of it at the moment 😕

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
losing me in the dogma pond wars here - not come across women using the term girls against themselves as a term of abuse.
In fact quite the opposite.
I'll defer to the wondrous cindi

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIb6AZdTr-A

Clearly about grown women for there are references to the working day
caution - in addition to some dodgy choreography, contains the word "boys"
(I was disappointed to find out a few years ago that she didn't write it, a bloke/boy wrote it but I have no reason to think that it was a sly tool of self subjugation. Quite the opposite.
There are of course many many other non loaded/negative uses of the term (easily found) so no need to be offended this bright morn.

You being deliberately obtuse, or do you really not get it ??

Certainly no offence taken, just the usual resigned sigh..

Never mind, harvesting to do :okay:

sigh away - thanks for flagging it as usual.
saves me posting more joyful links on contemporary usage.

Last edited:
Top Bottom