Words that you or others struggle to pronounce

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
We had a sheep shearer who kept talking about the soft shoes they habitually wear to stop the fleeces being damaged as they work, as 'mossacins'

I'm afraid we were such awful people that we kept trying to bring them into the conversation to see who could get the highest 'mossacin' score..

Truly dreadful behaviour I know :angel:
One of our friends had a really rubbish pair of Espadrilles which he would wear out.
We all referred to them as enchiladas much to his annoyance and our amusement.

This may be a little dark for some, for which I apologise.
When I drove BR trains, on many occasions there were delays due to ‘a Fertility’ on the line…..
Never encountered one as a driver, but dealt with 3 in career as a driver manager…..

Last edited:

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
The two that other people do a lot, and which set my teeth on edge are "arks" when they mean ask, and "nukiller" when they mean nuclear.

"Did I arks about your nukiller family tho?"

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
The two that other people do a lot, and which set my teeth on edge are "arks" when they mean ask, and "nukiller" when they mean nuclear.

"Did I arks about your nukiller family tho?"

Arks or aks is a West Indian tic. Even folks with no other discernible Caribbean accident sometimes give a clue as their origin with that one.

yello

The two that other people do a lot, and which set my teeth on edge are "arks" when they mean ask,
I hear 'aks' rather than 'arks'.... but we're probably referring to the same thing. Tbh, I consider it to be almost an accent feature rather than a mispronunciation.

Is water as pronounced by Cockneys (I.e. with the glottal stop) a mispronunciation?

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
I don’t have problems with individual words, but there are combinations of words in sentences that tie my tongue in knots when I’m speaking in Spanish (somehow my brain fails to keep up with my mouth).

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Patio
Crepe
Cheche Creche

These 3 have been highly traumatic. I have heard so many variations in my travels that I just lost my confidence in using them. I do find those from posh finishing schools seem to handle this well. Not sure if their language classes have some a special curriculum.

Btw 'crèche' is easy.

Just like when posh people experience an rta..

"Ooops!! Had a bit of a crèche in the Range Rover dahling.."

Top Bottom