Words wot you say wrong...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Venod

Eh up
Llandudno

The Ll is an alveoler lateral fricative. Say the word lion. Do it again but this time stop when the tip of the tongue is touching the roof of the mouth just before the upper front teeth. Now blow a bit of air out, makes an ess-like sound. [ALF]-lan-didno. The 'i' instead of 'u' because it's named after town's patron saint Tidno.

I have no idea what alveoler lateral fricative means, but I'm a dab hand at copy and pasting.

OP
OP
Y

yello

I have no idea what alveoler lateral fricative means, but I'm a dab hand at copy and pasting.

Ah, you went and spoilt it! I was well impressed to begin with! I also thought I might have a fellow linguist* on the board...

*linguist as in someone who arguably wasted 3 years of their life studying such stuff as alveolar lateral fricatives etc. Nah, not "wasted" as I enjoyed it.

slowwww

Veteran
I am a perfect linguist (ahem!) but two words from politicians used to really wind me up.

Michael Howard's inability to pronounce 'school' -always used to sound like 'skewule'.

George W Bush, 'terrorist' always sounded like 'terrrrrrist'

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
On a related Telegram thread, a friend has just passed on this gem about his daughter who "...used to refer to people being 'high rate' when angry. It took a long while for me to realise that this was from hearing her boyfriend's Jamaican granddad. She was tickled when I pointed out the real word."

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Carol Kirkwood (TV weather presenter) pronounces Northern, Western, Southern and Eastern, as Northeren, Westeren, Southeren, and Easteren, now I have written that down I am questioning my hearing, is it true ?

Very common pronunciation in Northeast Scotland, and perhaps wide afield.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Adding an extra letter is common on Scottish west coast also. Like Ardnamurachan where there is an extra letter a. Mostly used in place names I think. I am not a linguist but I think it is a Gaelic derivation.

I am a perfect linguist (ahem!) but two words from politicians used to really wind me up.

Michael Howard's inability to pronounce 'school' -always used to sound like 'skewule'.

George W Bush, 'terrorist' always sounded like 'terrrrrrist'
Dubya was also one of these irritating people who have trouble with 'nuclear'. Never remotely understood this. New-clear. Geddit?

Top Bottom