Words wot you say wrong...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
In the Boris saga, I heard on TV, that his neighbours had "tape recorded" the noises coming from Boris's flat.

Do people still have tape recorders!

I think it's just a linguistic trait that won't die. Everyone I know still talks about taping stuff on the telly, even though we're all using DVRs now.

Sharky

Guru
I'm not.... :blush:

Seriously, I haven't recorded anything for maybe 20 odd years, on VCR.

Though I do like 'tape recorded' being used to refer equally to using a smartphone app. There's something oldy-worldy quaint about, a hark back to a time when.

Edit: just like @Sharky and "clocking off'
Can't stop thing of similar ones.

When emailing, I often CC people. I bet most people don't know what it stands for and have never seen carbon paper!

classic33

Leg End Member
In the Boris saga, I heard on TV, that his neighbours had "tape recorded" the noises coming from Boris's flat.

Do people still have tape recorders!
This count?
CAM01315.jpg

D

Deleted member 26715

No, it's the tobacco that counts.
I always thought it was fingers & when really pushed toes.

Mr Celine

Discordian
On a related Telegram thread, a friend has just passed on this gem about his daughter who "...used to refer to people being 'high rate' when angry. It took a long while for me to realise that this was from hearing her boyfriend's Jamaican granddad. She was tickled when I pointed out the real word."
Can he say 'bacon' without making it sound like 'beer can'?

Can he say 'Heriot-Watt University' without making it sound like 'hairier tw@t university'?

Top Bottom