Work bike shed/cage concern

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Veganpower

I'm thinking of riding my lovely new bike to work but I'm a bit concerned. The locked cage area seems small and over crowded with bikes. I'm worried that someone else will lock their less than desirable old rusty commuter next to mine, and potentially scratch my frame. It's Reading Borough Council so you get all types of people here.

Has anyone else had experience of this or am I being a bit pompous ?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Unfortunately, that's how it is. Try and park it at one end out of the way !

byegad

Legendary Member
Pompous? No, the worst is a little precious! :becool:

If the odd scratch will ruin your enjoyment of your shiny bike, I'd give it a miss. I tend to look at a bike as a tool and tools that are unused are the only ones that are pristine. Others will differ. :eek:

OP
OP
Veganpower

Veganpower

Pompous? No, the worst is a little precious! :becool:

If the odd scratch will ruin your enjoyment of your shiny bike, I'd give it a miss. I tend to look at a bike as a tool and tools that are unused are the only ones that are pristine. Others will differ. :eek:

I hear what you're saying but... I wouldn't mind if it was me that damaged/scratched my bike but if some careless individual did I would be very annoyed.

I'll try the out of the way trick and maybe get there early.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You have no real choice. Just put it out of the way, or pick a bike you recognise/doesn't look too wrecked. If you lock it securely enough, the bike shouldn't move, so if knocked it won't get clonked on the sheffield stand.

OP
OP
Veganpower

Veganpower

Is it for riding, or for looking at?

If it's for looking at, hang it over the fireplace in a frame.

If it's for riding, ride it. It will get scuffed sooner or later, but it'll have been used, and that's what most bikes are for, after all.

That could be said about anything but I doubt a car would go above the fireplace. Obviously I'm being pompous! Perhaps I'm being extra cautious as I only bought it last Friday, it's a large investment (for me), and it's my first Road Bike.

VamP

Banned
I don't think you're being pompous. My best bike (actually none of my bikes except the pub bike) would not ever be left in a public area. Scuffing is the least of your worries. What options to take it indoors? Mine comes in, and sits in the corner of my office. Toasty.

Sara_H

Guru
When you pak your bike up in these kinds of facilities you have to take a chance of a few scuffs etc, same as parking a car in a car park - likely to get a few dinks - its part of life.

a_nic_an

Is the bike rack well used?
At my workplace there are just a few of us who use the rack, we all have our own spaces and leave our locks attached all the time. My space is at one end where the bike is reasonably well protected.
Though, as others have said, a scratch might be a shame but it is inevitable eventually.

vickster

Legendary Member
If worried about scratches, I wouldn't go clipless...a moment is inevitable eventually too

Top Bottom