Work bike shed/cage concern

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mattobrien

Guru
My best bike has been safely tucked up inside (in my home office) since October and hasn't been out to face the nasty cold or wet. A bike is for riding, but equally I don't want to trash it unnecessarily.

If I want to scratch something, I'll take my mountain bike and probably fall off in the process :whistle:

Leodis

Veteran
I avoid parking next to people at work, most are decent but there are some who bang their bikes into yours and the Sheffield stands scratch the hell outta top tubes, if someone cannot respect their own property imagine what they care for others.

OP
OP
Veganpower

Veganpower

Thanks for all the input. The bike cage is full and with lots of old unloved bikes too (judged on appearance, they may well be loved). No chane of bringing my bike into the office, the civic centre is cramped.

As I said earlier, I accept my bike will get damaged and I don't mind that. I simply was concerned about other people damaging it, which I can't accept. I think I'll just get a beater for town. Even since that film I've been fascinated with the idea of a fixie with no brakes. Maybe I'll have a go at building one.

OP
OP
Veganpower

Veganpower

I avoid parking next to people at work, most are decent but there are some who bang their bikes into yours and the Sheffield stands scratch the hell outta top tubes, if someone cannot respect their own property imagine what they care for others.
That was my thinking.

Pikey

Waiting for the turbo to kick in...
Pipe lagging on the top tube if you're really fussy!

^^^^^^^
Just shove a load of pipe lagging behind the shed in a carrier bag, prob 3 bits to cover top, down and seat tube as these are the most likely to get pinged by others locking there bikes near urs.

Or I did think the other week about that stick transparent plastic stuff that comes in big rolls, that you used to cover your school books in back in the day. That would be virtually invisible and a semi permanent solution.

I don't think you are being pompous at all, if someone at work scratched my princess I would release the hounds :evil:

......all of them....... :evil::evil::evil::evil:

400bhp

Guru
^^^^^^^
Just shove a load of pipe lagging behind the shed in a carrier bag, prob 3 bits to cover top, down and seat tube as these are the most likely to get pinged by others locking there bikes near urs.

Or I did think the other week about that stick transparent plastic stuff that comes in big rolls, that you used to cover your school books in back in the day. That would be virtually invisible and a semi permanent solution.

I don't think you are being pompous at all, if someone at work scratched my princess I would release the hounds :evil:

......all of them....... :evil::evil::evil::evil:

Agree-if that bothered. Could even cable tie the lagging to the top tube and leave it there in the week.

tjones

Wonder how many bikes are parked up in the shed and never used? It might be worth trying to get these bikes that are never used cleared out

flatflr

Guru
I've just started a new job where there is a bike rack for the factory which is full of BSOs, however I share an office with two others, who have said it would be cool for me to park my bike in the corner of the office (I did comment that my bike would probably be the cleanest thing in there). Only issue is there are no showers that I can use but it's only 3 miles from home so it'll be wet wipes when I get there, but good for extended rides home:smile:

D

Deleted member 1258

Thanks for all the input. The bike cage is full and with lots of old unloved bikes too (judged on appearance, they may well be loved). No chane of bringing my bike into the office, the civic centre is cramped.

As I said earlier, I accept my bike will get damaged and I don't mind that. I simply was concerned about other people damaging it, which I can't accept. I think I'll just get a beater for town. Even since that film I've been fascinated with the idea of a fixie with no brakes. Maybe I'll have a go at building one.

In England its illegal to ride a brakeless fixed on the road, the law requires at least a front brake, my fixed has both a front and a back brake.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I leave mine in the bike cages at work - I think they are meant for about 20 in each cage but it soon fills up and then some bikes get locked up to the cage and some just prop up against the back. I tend not to go for the ones near the edges since that's where the extra bikes get pushed in. I would say try to work out which bikes stay there - a stationary bike isn't going to scratch yours. Problem is there are bikes going in and out all day here so you might pick a nice bike to share a Sheffield stand but return later to find a beat up bike instead. My main worry is whether I will get a space or if I will end up out on the street in front of the building.

To be honest I think I'm responsible for the vast majority of scratches!

Top Bottom