Work self-appraisal form -help!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stephec

Legendary Member
I was going to mention TUPE as I've had that, but if tyred is in southern Ireland the law may be different from the UK.

Unless it's an EU one, in which case I can finally be thankful for our membership. :smile:

jnrmczip

Try score yourself 8ish for questions as some appraisals are bonus related. I would be half truthful as they are for both negative and positive feedback. Just don't go over board. Explain how u feel well and what you would think works best to make your job capable try turning the negatives round into a positive show them you are thinking about how stuff is done

pplpilot

Guru
I too have to go through this pointless psychobabble bullstih, made up by someone half my age still in their first job out of uni that has never done a real days work in their life. Same person would probably last a day if they had to mix it with the rest of us.

I daydream about doing something like this -

The reality is that this is the way things are going. This sort of appraisal is all over the place - wifey had in in the NHS after doing the job for 15 years and similarly daughter has in for her Saturday job in Boots.

Also - lets face it, from what you say, would they give you the job now? Probably not. So the thing to do is play the game and get through it.
To that end decide on how you want to pitch yourself. That pitch has got to be able to be defended. So go with the "I stay in my shell a bit too much and I know I can sometimes be seen as not part of the team because of this but I really am" sort of thing covers you a bit.

Remember you appraise yourself and they then will sit down and feed back the score they give you and both are hoped to be similar. So give reasons for your middling scores on some points. Back it up strongly with the fact that you deliver what is needed.

Hopefully and at a guess, most of the rest of the staff will be in the same position and as long as you are not the stand-out square peg then you are passed over if they want to axe anyone.

Other side it that getting the sack may be the best thing given you are so unhappy.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
From an office drone who has gone through all this type of stuff, believe me, I feel your pain.

I recall one occasion when our Area Manager got everyone of my grade together for a training day. For one exercise we all had to prepare a critique of our own individual faults and weaknesses, mentioning what we were bad at and what we were going to do about it. Everyone sat around nervously preparing written presentations owning up to sh*tloads of all kinds of stuff. Alphabetically, I had to go first with my 10 minute presentation. I came out with a line of BS about my worst fault being my reluctance to say no, resulting in me taking on too much work. I was clearly going to have to take on less casework in future and to learn to step off the treadmill from time to time to take stock of the situation and catch up with housekeeping/admin jobs. Everyone else was seething as they wished they'd thought of that. They all stood up and admitted to all sorts of faults, while I got away with claiming to do too much work .... and the AM actually liked my presentation! LOL.

OP
OP
tyred

tyred

Legendary Member
I do have the self-appraisal form to fill out but will also have a face to face meeting with the new owner of the business (whom I have never met or even spoken to before) who is travelling to meet us here and I will have to discuss all the answers. That is another challenge really as I will probably not come across very well. I know I am probably over-thinking and getting stressed but I have been having panic attacks all day since I read the form and just trying to get my thoughts under control.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
@tyred most of us need to work to pay our bills: don't stress, make up a nice work of fiction without too many lies, say that in 5 years time you will be glad to still have your health and your job.
Don't specify what job :okay:

Dave 123

Legendary Member
@tyred when you have the meeting with the big boss by all means discuss your answers with them, but ask questions too.
Make it seem like you're taking an interest.
Yes, they're the big cheese but have they had anyone from the organisation take an interest in them, what they think, what they plan, how would they implement it....?
The big boss may think "hang on, this is the first person who's been interested in me". Play them at their own game and score points from it.

Good luck!

buggi

Bird Saviour
Errhh hang on... What about TUPE? They cannot simply sack you without been on dodgy ground. I would be inclined to speak to a union rep.
What he said!!! You should have been TUPE'd across. If you are not in a union, phone ACAS and see what they say.

Other than that all I can say is... Don't mess up by saying what you feel at this moment in time. If you suffer with depression you will of course find change hard and how you feel now may not be how you feel in a few months. Appraisals work both ways. "Play the game" as someone once told me. Don't rant or criticise yourself, don't mark yourself down but be realistic and ask for a development plan if you feel you need it. If you have achieved what you needed to over the last six months, this is a SUCCESS and an OPPORTUNITY TO DEVELOP a new skill (you have MASTERED the current ones).

Don't answer a question that asks you where you want to be in 5 years. Ask yourself where you want to be when you retire and then ask for a development plan to get you there. My boss once said this to me when I shrugged at the five year question. So she asked me the 20 year one. My answer was "on a narrow boat". However,I didn't want to move up there ladder (I'm as high as I want to go) so my development plan was gaining extra skills so that I would always have a job in the company and could move around. This might be something you could consider, particularly if you are not enjoying your role. The way to word this on your appraisal is... "I'M READY FOR A NEW CHALLENGE AND SOME DEVELOPMENT"

Ps the words in capitals are good words to be in your appraisal form

howard2107

I agree it is all bollox. The last one of these i got to complete i chucked in the bin, and the one before that i answered with my usual carcasm. Q "where do you see yourself in 5 years? A "Most likely in a **** place that an a******e who can't manage manages me into along with everyone else in this company".

The company i now work for has Continuous Personal Development plan (CPD), and this is good. I can log stuff i have done, keep track of things that i am responsible for, and highlight stuff i would like to do, and get the appropriate training etc. And to be fair they are very good at backing me to do it, and will pay as long as i can justify it. Its better than appraisal crap, as it is measurable and those who need to know can answer their own questions by looking at the CPD. I have an annual appraisal, but it is more informal, and we discuss whats been going on, and what my next plans are based on my CPD. I am involved with teaching and young people, so we have to do this anyway so that the likes of Ofsted and City and Guilds can see that we continue to meet quality processes etc and change and adapt to change.

Cheers..............Howard

Option A, fecking quit and get a job you do like for a company you might want to work for.

Option B, fill the form, they're easy. Find the company charter, principles, motto, ethics or some HR company profile. Read it and ensure you use all the key words in answering the questions. Our includes accountability, sustainability, respect and integrity. And then when answering the questions play the company buzz word game. If the question asks where you want to be in 5 years, you can answer... Continuing to provide sustainable support and remaining accountable for the work I am asked to complete. Or if it asks about achieving goals.....I have consistently delivered support through mutual respect of my peers. And if you get a question and low points in the year......I have faced some difficult challenges this year and while failing to meet stretch targets I have continued to endeavour to deliver my work with integrity and accountability. Always mention what you learnt after failures, HR love that sh!t.

And don't forget to pepper the form with some actual examples, names, dates, projects, tasks and you should be good. The other day I got email thanking me for a quick response to a question and bang, that goes into the form somewhere.

Top Bottom