Work stand

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alicat

Legendary Member
No, I'd get one with more reviews and from a(n online) bike shop

I know someone uses this, he seems happy but he does take his bike to the LBS for anything other than "cleaning and tweaking"
There are cheaper, similar stands from about £25 delivered

Either way, I would say that it's OK for minimal use on one bike, I bought similar for regular home workshop use on numerous bikes and some buy / restore / resell projects and although it's still in use it now has lost its grips, needing a piece of inner tube wrapping round the seatpost first, and the stripped clamp bolt (made of Happy Shopper cheddar) replaced by a normal bolt.....it's due for replacement

If it's going to get regular use, a Park PCS-9 is worth the spend. 2nd hand about £50 (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Park-Tool-PCS-9-/292002217440?hash=item43fcb03de0:g:5tUAAOSwNnRYgOGq) - not mine and no affiliation with the seller

It's a "home mechanic" stand but we use one at work daily for "on the shop floor PDI & new bike assembly" stand (as opposed to the ubiquitous Kestrel in the workshop) and so long as you grease the plastic cone where it inserts into the metal frame now and again, it works as well as it did when it was bought

U

User32269

I've used the aldi one for about 3 years. Got it for 15 quid on offer.
Stripped, built and maintained loads of bikes without a problem.
Bike-Assembly-Stand-C.jpg

winjim

Smash the cistern
It might be worth a punt but just don't be fooled by the supposed discount. It ain't worth £100.

Lonestar

Veteran
Got me thinking about getting one now.What are you like?

[QUOTE 4648961, member: 9609"]just hang it from the ceiling, better than any work stand and free[/QUOTE]

That's sweet even got a heater to keep it warm.:wub:

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
That's the one I've got too. Very sturdy for the price.

Me too.

As you say, decent piece of kit for the money.

Probably wouldn't last long in a workshop, but just the job for my occasional weekend tinkering.

One tip is to ask your local bike shop for a couple of lengths of the spongy tube cladding which comes on new bikes - the shop only throws it away - but it does a good job of protecting the cross bar in the stand clamp.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Me too.

As you say, decent piece of kit for the money.

Probably wouldn't last long in a workshop, but just the job for my occasional weekend tinkering.

One tip is to ask your local bike shop for a couple of lengths of the spongy tube cladding which comes on new bikes - the shop only throws it away - but it does a good job of protecting the cross bar in the stand clamp.

I always clamp mine on the seat post

mmmmartin

Random geezer
Yes, that one you look at is OK, i have a very similar one but i wanted the legs to fold away so paid a few quid more. i think it's importnt to buy the one without the plastic knob you tighten by screwing as that is a faff, much better to get one where you just fold down a lever and it grips. they won't last forever but mine is ideal for occasional days in the shed. it holds my 18 kilo Thorn Raven perfectly well.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
[QUOTE 4648961, member: 9609"]just hang it from the ceiling, better than any work stand and free [/QUOTE]
Only down side is it can be unsettling if you walk into it by mistake and after a short swing, the bike returns the shove :blush:

Top Bottom