Work Stand

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
HLaB said:
Thanks for the replies; I've went ahead an ordered this one.

HLaB, will you report back on it when you get it. Might just get one while it's on offer if you think it's OK.

Cheers

doyler78

Got mine this evening. Took 5 mins to setup. Pull the legs down. Fit the clamp to the top tube. Tighten the bolt (the slowest part of the whole thing - like it took me about 3 mins to find the right size spanner - 13 and about 30 secs to tighten). Good to go.

You can turn the clamp any way you want so that you can clamp to the seatpost or the top tube.

Threw my bike up on it. Very steady indeed. Clamp is cushioned so it should be fine on the paintwork though only time will tell on that one.

Having never owned a workstand I can say it was a real revelation. I really do know in a few weeks I will be wondering how I ever managed without it and the price I got it for - £34.99 - definitely seems worth it. Only time will tell whether any of the problems talked about show themselves however the clamp looks solid and secure to me but hey what do I know.

One thing though that has me puzzled is that there is a small screw which was in plastic bag which had been stapled to the instruction manual and not in the sealed box of parts so it looked like an after thought but I have no idea what it is for as there is nothing in the manual about it and the stand seems fine without it so if anyone has any ideas what its for please let me know.

OP
OP
HLaB

HLaB

Marie Attoinette Fan
Crackle said:
HLaB, will you report back on it when you get it. Might just get one while it's on offer if you think it's OK.

Cheers
Unfortunately it never arrived today :blush:, its sitting in the courier's warehouse in Glenrothes, so I won't be able to give a review before the offer ends (midnight on the 3rd I think). On the other hand doyler gave a quite good review ;) so I'm looking forward to its arrival.

He did. Hadn't realized it finished on the third, thanks for the heads up. I think I'll get one anyway, based on what Doyler78 said and the responses you had on the thread ......... that and the price ;) Order going in tomorrow.

doyler78

HLaB said:
Unfortunately it never arrived today :sad:, its sitting in the courier's warehouse in Glenrothes, so I won't be able to give a review before the offer ends (midnight on the 3rd I think). On the other hand doyler gave a quite good review :smile: so I'm looking forward to its arrival.

:biggrin: Bet u will just love it when it arrives - a bit after mine mind :biggrin:

Got mine today. Doyler78 that screw goes on the plastic collar which you tighten once you've adjusted the height. There's a hole in the collar and in the metal tube which the collar slides onto. Line them up and screw in the screw, then the collar won't move and come loose.

I too have never owned one before. The stand is very solid but the clamping bracket is perhaps the weak point. It holds it OK but too much plastic for it to be solid, so the bike sways more than I'd like it too. I think care will be required not to put too much strain on the rotating part of the clamp, otherwise the plastic teeth may shear. That said I'm happy with it for the money I paid, I think it'll be a godsend compared to leaning bikes on chairs or using the turbo. Stop me breaking my back.

OP
OP
HLaB

HLaB

Marie Attoinette Fan
Mine came on Monday, so I'm told, it was delivered to my sister's house and I've not had a chance to pick it up yet.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
walker said:
Some really good pricy stands come with a magentic pot, and a set of precise scales to weigh your bike.

I've got a cheap workstand of ebay & bought a magnetic tray from tesco for £2 which i leave attached to the workstand & find it comes in really handy :biggrin:

Plax

Guru
I put a yard brush through the backs or two strategically places dining chairs and lift the saddle on top of the stick and secure. Lifts the back wheel of the ground so you can have a tinker about. Probably should invest in a proper stand one ot these days..........

longers

Legendary Member
Plax said:
I put a yard brush through the backs or two strategically places dining chairs and lift the saddle on top of the stick and secure. Lifts the back wheel of the ground so you can have a tinker about. Probably should invest in a proper stand one ot these days..........

I used to do similar with the two wheelie bins in the garden. Got a £50 (half price) job from Ribble. It's a big improvement.

giant man

I have been arrming and arring over which workstand to get and I still haven't got one yet. This conclusion came after struggling to fit and new cassette and chain to me winter bike, NOT FUN!

So I do need one, think i'll bide my time and get one that will last, this will probably cost more than normal but there you go, you get what you pay for.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Also just got the Spindoctor stand from Wiggle, )ordered Tuesday night, delivered today, well done Wiggle). Took 5 minutes to set up. Got the bike up on it to true a wheel. Excellent buy imho.

Top Bottom