1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Work Stand

Discussion in 'Bikes and Buying Advice - What Bike?' started by HLaB, 27 Feb 2008.

1. I've been meaning to get one for ages, this one is down quite a bit, is it any good?

2. rickangus

rickangus Über Member

It looks a bit more downmarket than others but you can really only tell when you see it in the flesh.

I bought a workstand a few months ago after dithering for ages. I needn't have worried - a workstand is seriously useful if you tinker a lot. I can't remember the make of the one i bought - it was featured in C+ a while back and is regularly recommended in these sort of forums. Was about £80 delivered.

But the price of this one is very tempting - particularly if you are a bit ambivalent about spending money on 'just' a workstand. Trouble is, if you find a workstand is a godsend you may find yourself regretting not having bought a better one. But then again, you could buy a decent one and then wish you hadn't spent all that money...

Personally I'd get it - there's always a market on ebay if you decide to upgrade and I bet you wouldn't lose much.

3. domtyler

domtyler Über Member

Surely a workstand is just a workstand no? It just holds the bike up in the air. I wouldn't worry too much about upgrading to a carbon or titanium one particularly.

4. Gerry Attrick

Gerry Attrick Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant

I recently bought a Revolution stand from Edinburg Cycle Co-op. Its a great bit of kit for just under £70. It even happily supports my old winter hack which weighs in at over 30lb!

5. domtyler

domtyler Über Member

Is it made from lead?

6. Danny

Danny Legendary Member

So did I and am similarly happy. If you wait until their next sale you may be able to get it for £60. I think they usually have one around May Day.

7. Gerry Attrick

Gerry Attrick Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant

Well, its an ancient Dawes Shadow, completely standard including steel rims. I reckon its made from scaffold tube, but what the heck, it works, it gives me a workout and no-one wants to nick it from outside the pub.

8. Dave5N

Dave5N Über Member

AOL has banned wiggle so I don't know what you proposed, but I bought a Bike Pro one from CRC last week. Looks pretty good so far.

9. walker

walker New Member

certain stands are made for different types of bikes and how and where they are held, some are also Carbon friendly and won't crush a carbon tube when clamped in. Some really good pricy stands come with a magentic pot, and a set of precise scales to weigh your bike.

If you've seen a top end one they look like a shipment crane.

10. Tynan

Tynan Veteran

suggest you ban AOL then

who on earth do think they are?

11. PrettyboyTim

PrettyboyTim New Member

Made from lead? Damn, I'd love it if my bike weighed a mere 30 lbs... :becool:

12. fossyant

fossyant Ride It Like You Stole It!

Decathlon do a good one - well two own make at £30 and some other at £45.

PS AOL's servers are screwed at the moment !

13. Bollo

Bollo A Local Milk Person

Another for the Edinbrugh Cycle Co-op Revolution stand. I got mine in one of their sales at £60. I've also seen it branded with other names, including Raleigh, but always at the £80 mark. I don't think its the same as the Wiggle job as the clamp on the Revolution stand looks more robust.

The only downer to getting it from the cycle co-op was that delivery was a good deal less slick than wiggle's.

Whatever you choose, fixing even the trivial stuff using a stand is way better than the alternatives, such as dangling yer bike from strings or getting your six year old daughter to hold it steady on the promise of a Bratz DVD.

14. PrettyboyTim

PrettyboyTim New Member

15. 4F

4F Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby

I have that one, very easy to use and easy to put up and down.