Work Stand

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rickangus

Über Member
It looks a bit more downmarket than others but you can really only tell when you see it in the flesh.

I bought a workstand a few months ago after dithering for ages. I needn't have worried - a workstand is seriously useful if you tinker a lot. I can't remember the make of the one i bought - it was featured in C+ a while back and is regularly recommended in these sort of forums. Was about £80 delivered.

But the price of this one is very tempting - particularly if you are a bit ambivalent about spending money on 'just' a workstand. Trouble is, if you find a workstand is a godsend you may find yourself regretting not having bought a better one. But then again, you could buy a decent one and then wish you hadn't spent all that money...

Personally I'd get it - there's always a market on ebay if you decide to upgrade and I bet you wouldn't lose much.

domtyler

Über Member
Surely a workstand is just a workstand no? It just holds the bike up in the air. I wouldn't worry too much about upgrading to a carbon or titanium one particularly.

domtyler

Über Member
Gerry Attrick said:
I recently bought a Revolution stand from Edinburg Cycle Co-op. Its a great bit of kit for just under £70. It even happily supports my old winter hack which weighs in at over 30lb!

Is it made from lead?

Danny

Legendary Member
Gerry Attrick said:
I recently bought a Revolution stand from Edinburg Cycle Co-op. Its a great bit of kit for just under £70. It even happily supports my old winter hack which weighs in at over 30lb!

So did I and am similarly happy. If you wait until their next sale you may be able to get it for £60. I think they usually have one around May Day.

walker

domtyler said:
Surely a workstand is just a workstand no? It just holds the bike up in the air. I wouldn't worry too much about upgrading to a carbon or titanium one particularly.

certain stands are made for different types of bikes and how and where they are held, some are also Carbon friendly and won't crush a carbon tube when clamped in. Some really good pricy stands come with a magentic pot, and a set of precise scales to weigh your bike.

If you've seen a top end one they look like a shipment crane.

Tynan

Veteran
Dave5N said:
AOL has banned wiggle so I don't know what you proposed, but I bought a Bike Pro one from CRC last week. Looks pretty good so far.

suggest you ban AOL then

who on earth do think they are?

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Another for the Edinbrugh Cycle Co-op Revolution stand. I got mine in one of their sales at £60. I've also seen it branded with other names, including Raleigh, but always at the £80 mark. I don't think its the same as the Wiggle job as the clamp on the Revolution stand looks more robust.

The only downer to getting it from the cycle co-op was that delivery was a good deal less slick than wiggle's.

Whatever you choose, fixing even the trivial stuff using a stand is way better than the alternatives, such as dangling yer bike from strings or getting your six year old daughter to hold it steady on the promise of a Bratz DVD.

Top Bottom