workers rights? bullying employer.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

surfgurl

Suggest to your son that he takes nothing of value with him to work. Can he leave his mobile, wallet, MP3, cigarettes at home and still be able to get to and from work.

wafflycat

This reminds me of when I was an impoverished student working in a shop on Saturdays. At the end of every day, before being allowed to leave the premises, we had our bags searched. We all hated it as it spoke volumes about the employer's attitude - and there was no history of theft by staff. We used to try to work out ways to make the search unpleasant for those doing it. So one day I just made sure I had a supply of naughty underwear in the top of my bag. Cue embarrassed expression of the guy doing the search and much guffawing from the assembled hoardes as guy takes out assorted frillies from my bag. Not the sort of thing one is going to be nicking from a men's clothes shop :thumbsup:

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
The OP is an example of incompetent management in that it's not that difficult to get employees on side. All the bloke had to say was something along the lines of, "We've been down on some stock/money recently and while I'm sure you're all straight I want to protect you from suspicion so we can narrow down what's happening. To that end I'm providing each of you with a lockable metal box in which I'd like you to put your money, fags etc at the start of each shift. Sorry about this but it is to all our benefits." A simple change in presentation could have done a lot to preserve morale.

Aint Skeered

A friend of mines wife works for TK Max. Everybody is searched before leaving work. Also if they are on the tills, they are not allowed to deal with anyone they know.

OP
OP
P
Andy in Sig said:
The OP is an example of incompetent management in that it's not that difficult to get employees on side. All the bloke had to say was something along the lines of, "We've been down on some stock/money recently and while I'm sure you're all straight I want to protect you from suspicion so we can narrow down what's happening. To that end I'm providing each of you with a lockable metal box in which I'd like you to put your money, fags etc at the start of each shift. Sorry about this but it is to all our benefits." A simple change in presentation could have done a lot to preserve morale.

i think that is the way he should have tackled it, it's far more freindly.they have cameras all over the place anyway.
as it is he's probably going to get people with less money than they started with with bags full of frilly underwear as a protest.:thumbsup:

Arch

Married to Night Train
Aint Skeered said:
A friend of mines wife works for TK Max. Everybody is searched before leaving work. Also if they are on the tills, they are not allowed to deal with anyone they know.

I'd think that was pretty standard, that was the rule back when I worked at Iceland, you couldn't serve family or friends.

Does sound like the guy has gone about this in the worst way, even if he has good reason to do it. If it's just a part time job, I'd suggest the lad just gets something else as soon as he can - if the employer is crap at staff relations in that way, he'll be crap in other ways too.

I sometimes wonder about employers. If they don't trust their employees, what are they doing employing them in the first place?:biggrin:

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
wafflycat said:
This reminds me of when I was an impoverished student working in a shop on Saturdays. At the end of every day, before being allowed to leave the premises, we had our bags searched. We all hated it as it spoke volumes about the employer's attitude - and there was no history of theft by staff. We used to try to work out ways to make the search unpleasant for those doing it. So one day I just made sure I had a supply of naughty underwear in the top of my bag. Cue embarrassed expression of the guy doing the search and much guffawing from the assembled hoardes as guy takes out assorted frillies from my bag. Not the sort of thing one is going to be nicking from a men's clothes shop :biggrin:

Waffles! I'm shocked:ohmy::eek::becool::ohmy::ohmy::wacko::ohmy:
I can't imagine you would own such things.
Or maybe I just don't want to think about them.
Very much.
OK, just for the rest of the day.:biggrin:

Canrider

Guru
I'd think that was pretty standard, that was the rule back when I worked at Iceland, you couldn't serve family or friends.
:becool::eek::ohmy:

Sorry, trying to figure out how that could be made to work, remembering how many people I know who work in the local Lidl, Somerfield, Coop, etcetcetc.

wafflycat

TheDoctor said:
Waffles! I'm shocked:ohmy::eek::becool::ohmy::ohmy::wacko::ohmy:
I can't imagine you would own such things.
Or maybe I just don't want to think about them.
Very much.
OK, just for the rest of the day.:biggrin:

I was young, free and single then. Nowadays, being a middle-aged matron of the parish I'm more into THESE :biggrin:

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
wafflycat said:
I was young, free and single then. Nowadays, being a middle-aged matron of the parish I'm more into THESE :wacko:

I'm sure you'd look stunning in them. I'm sure you'd look stunning in bin liners and gaffer tape, TBH.
*restrains self from googling for same*

Bigtallfatbloke

Bullying isnt just physical. Mental bullying isnt just one or two isolated events either. It often takes the form of constant and often underhand derogatory comments, humiliation, discrimination etc...it can build up over years...often the tiniest little things ...on eafter the other...go unnoticed by all except those they are directed at. The bully (read person in authority for the mostpart) hides behind their authority, they are on a power trip. The employer often sides with the bully unkowingly by supporting them and seeing a bullied employee as incompetent etc.
Trade unions are often powerless in the absence of specific evidence and in some cases they unions are in bed with the corporation.
Just because no evidence can be shown does not mean it isnt happening. Verbal bullying is almost impossible to prove, and most bullyboy managers are very careful to cober their own arses and not put anything they say into an e mail or a memo etc.

Don't get me wrong, I am all for a fair days pay for a fair days work etc...but bullying is totally unacceptable and totally prevalent in our workplaces today. We live is a greed driven culture where the bullies reach the top through their actions and the decent people suffer at the bottom of the heap. There are good people in management positions in large corporations, many command real respect and loyalty from their employees...they are the ones we should look to, and they are the ones who will (if aware) seek to remove bullying from the workplace. The problem is these people are few and far between & I fear that for the time being at least the bullies will continue to rule the roost.

Top Bottom