Working out the BCD on Boardman MHT 8.6 2021

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

byegad

Legendary Member
Spa Cycles have a guy that can do it for you, and their prices are competitive. As a chronic gearing fiddler I have used them several times, Get as much info as you can and leave it to them to sort you out.

OP
OP
AliShah2020

AliShah2020

Thanks @Sharky, I know where to measure but unfortunately don't have a caliper to do it accurately, and don't trust the measuring tape as the crank arms get in the way.

I had wondered if Shimano Deore had a standard BCD they use.

Last edited:
OP
OP
AliShah2020

AliShah2020

@Jenkins you beauty! Thank you. It's the exact match!

Thanks for advice. I'll stick with a 38T plenty of power and flexibility. Thank you very kindly for looking this up. I typed in "Shimano Deore 32T Narrow Wide" in Google but unfortunately could not find the exact chainring you managed to find.

What did you type in Google search please?

Jenkins

Legendary Member
@Jenkins you beauty! Thank you. It's the exact match!

Thanks for advice. I'll stick with a 38T plenty of power and flexibility. Thank you very kindly for looking this up. I typed in "Shimano Deore 32T Narrow Wide" in Google but unfortunately could not find the exact chainring you managed to find.

What did you type in Google search please?
It was "Shimano Deore M4100 32T" as those were the specs on the Boardman page. The third link was to the crankset and the full details are hidden below a dropdown arrow.

OP
OP
AliShah2020

AliShah2020

@byegad Thanks for the recommendation... Spa Cycles is in Harrogate, and I live in London! 😎

I've changed the chainring on another bike, part of the fun of ownership is simple upgrades and maintenance. It's an easy peasy job once you got the right BCD and enough clearance from the chainstay.

@byegad Thanks for the recommendation... Spa Cycles is in Harrogate, and I live in London! 😎
Don't see the problem to be honest. Where's chain reaction, where's wiggle? etc, etc.

byegad

Legendary Member

I've changed the chainring on another bike, part of the fun of ownership is simple upgrades and maintenance. It's an easy peasy job once you got the right BCD and enough clearance from the chainstay.
Err! There is much a thing as a telephone, and mail deliveries.

Reactions: C R
OP
OP
AliShah2020

AliShah2020

@byegad "Spa Cycles have a guy that can do it for you, and their prices are competitive."

I appreciate the recommendation but I can't take my bike from London to Harrogate? And I like working on my bike myself? 🙂👌🏽

Ajax Bay

Guru
please advise what the BCD might be?
Spa Cycles have a guy that . . . sort you out.
it's a 96mm PCD
Spa Cycles is in Harrogate, and I live in London!
I can't take my bike from London to Harrogate?
Ali, old chap. No one has suggested you send your bike to the far north.
We all assumed you were trying to buy the 'right' chainring and just wanted assurance as to what you needed, which you received.
Have you even looked at the Spa Cycles website? It's quite an unusual one, but for a self-confessed perfectionist like yourself (see separate thread), I'll just whisper this "Spa Cycles sell things, and rings."

byegad

Legendary Member
@byegad "Spa Cycles have a guy that can do it for you, and their prices are competitive."

I appreciate the recommendation but I can't take my bike from London to Harrogate? And I like working on my bike myself? 🙂👌🏽
I'm suggesting this.
1. Telephone Spa cycles .
2. Tell them about the bike you have.
3. Ask what they can sell you too fit it.
4. Pay for it with your card.
5. Sit by the door waiting for the ring to arrive.
6. Change it yourself.
7. Ride the bike.

Clear enough?

OP
OP
AliShah2020

AliShah2020

I'm suggesting this.
1. Telephone Spa cycles .
2. Tell them about the bike you have.
3. Ask what they can sell you too fit it.
4. Pay for it with your card.
5. Sit by the door waiting for the ring to arrive.
6. Change it yourself.
7. Ride the bike.

Clear enough?

Ah thanks @byegad much clearer! I work very long hours and misread your post (at least six times). Thanks for clarification 😊👍🏼

Top Bottom