Working with a frame that is one size too big

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Billy Wizz

Über Member
Got hold of a frame from a garage sale that is a size too big. What are the things that you can do in terms of build such as stem, seatpost etc that can help bring it down a size? Any input is appreciated.

If it is any help I got this off eBay with the sole intention of selling the parts. image.jpg

Billy Wizz

Über Member
If it is any help I got this off eBay with the sole intention of selling the parts. View attachment 76743
I never finished I am 5 8 and the frame is 56 way too big my friends said, I lowered the seat and put a 80 mm stem on it and I was off after 26 miles the wife phoned and asked where I was I would have done another 26 if not for the call no problem I am keeping it for the summer.

DWiggy

Über Member
I've got a bike with a 57" frame but I would fit a 54" better, I changed the stem from a 110 to a 50 and moved the seat as far forward as it can go, I've now had it for about a year and a half now and seems just fine.....although I would really like one that fits me better!
I'm 5,9 btw

OP
OP
A

Arrowfoot

Surely the only things you can do is a shorter stem to shorten the reach, slam the saddle and move it as far forward on its rails as possible, although this may cause problems with your position in relation to the pedals. Make sure its not an offset seatpost which has a layback angle to it and then depending on how this all comes together you could then replace the cranks with longer or shorter to suit but that will only give you a few mm of difference or so.

Thanks, very helpful. Will try and get something going along these lines.

All, thanks for all the feedback.

sreten

Hi,

What type of frame is it ? The inventor of the compact frame geometry
stated only 3 frame sizes are needed for all, but the commercial reality
is you simply can't offer expensive frames in only 3 sizes, 5 minimum.

One modern frame size difference is usually not much of a problem.

rgds, sreten.

AndyWilliams

Über Member
My first road bike is a size too big but with the saddle low its absolutely fine. I have ridden 70 miles on it and no issues with back or leg ache.
I got the bike very cheap from a friend who bought it new so couldn't say no. Saddle height, that's personal preference IMO.

IMG_20140713_170359567_zpsb94def1a.jpg

screenman

Legendary Member
I've got a bike with a 57" frame but I would fit a 54" better, I changed the stem from a 110 to a 50 and moved the seat as far forward as it can go, I've now had it for about a year and a half now and seems just fine.....although I would really like one that fits me better!
I'm 5,9 btw

How the hell do you get on that, a ladder.

Sharky

Guru
What's your height and what size is the frame?
Do you have another bike that is your size?
You could pop into a bike shop and try a smaller bike and take the measurements from that.
Take the key measurements and compare and see just how much you have to adjust and where
- Ground to handle bars & saddle (difference is the saddle off set above the bars)
- BB to the same
- saddle nose to handle bars
- saddle nose (horizontally)behind the BB

If the frame is only 2 cm too big, then should be able to make it fit, but ride handling might not feel so agile as a smaller frame.

Apart from the obvious adjustments
- Fast Forward seat posts will bring the saddle forward
- and consider riding with shorter cranks - I'm on 150mm cranks, not to compensate for a big frame, but other reasons (google short cranks) and I raised my saddle by 2cm, so would compensate for a too large a frame.

Good look
Keith

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Would it help to use a smaller crank size in addition to the shorter stem and lower saddle? (I'm assuming that the crank already fitted would be for a longer leg.)

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Unless you're assembling a pub-bike from ostensibly free parts from your shed, I'd not waste time and money on it. If it's too big, then it'll still be too big.
Maybe if you got a frame right size, you could swap all the bits over, or just move it on on fleabay (whole or as parts) and get one that fits

accountantpete

Brexiteer
Regarding size - the rear bits don't change except that the top tube and seat tube meet at a higher point. So just drop the saddle height. I wouldn't move the seat forward or back from your normal position as this can cause problems with your muscles.

The front bit is both longer and higher - so ideally lose some spacers under the stem and get a nice short stem. I use an 80mm and you soon get used to the slight change. If the bars are still too high you can reverse the stem.

Top Bottom