Working zones (power)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

borchgrevink

When I ride the power meter is almost always in red zone (z6). Why is this? I thought thgis would be something I only hit when maxing all out, just like heart rate zones?

It also says it is calculated automatically, but cannot say anything has happened...
bkool.JPG

g00se

Veteran
Looks like your FTP test was wrong. Looking at those figures, it'll be set at about 148W which is quite low unless you're not very fit or quite small in stature.

I would grit your teeth and do the FTP test again. If you're unfamiliar with it, read up on how to perform FTP or LTHR (the heart-rate monitoring version of the same effort) tests on the road so you know what sort of effort you should be putting in (pace yourself by be totally spent at the end).

OP
OP
borchgrevink

borchgrevink

Maybe these zones are only calculated with a proper FTP? Fitness level is calculated as soon as the session is over 30 minutes, but maybe not these figures?

EDIT: Apparently NOT. A friend of mine has never done an FTP and his figures are much more "correct". Hmmm.

g00se

Veteran
Maybe - the site says for me:

• Your last FTP value update was on 26/11/2015 13:55. You developed an average power of 261.34 W
To get to the next level, you need to do the following:
  • Take a FTP test developing an average power over 269.47 W
  • Complete an Indoor Cycling session of over 30 minutes developing an average power over 269.47 W
So in lieu of doing their FTP test - it works it out from your best 30 minutes average?

OP
OP
borchgrevink

borchgrevink

Mine says, but I´ve never taken a ordinary FTP, it is only calculated after 30 minutes plus sessions (same as my friend):
Your fitness level in Cycling isActive 6
  • Your last FTP value update was on 10/12/2015 15:23. You developed an average power of 294.13 W
  • Take a FTP test developing an average power over 306.53 W
  • Complete an Indoor Cycling session of over 30 minutes developing an average power over 306.53 W

RickB

professional procrastinator
Mine says, but I´ve never taken a ordinary FTP, it is only calculated after 30 minutes plus sessions (same as my friend):
Your fitness level in Cycling isActive 6
  • Your last FTP value update was on 10/12/2015 15:23. You developed an average power of 294.13 W
  • Take a FTP test developing an average power over 306.53 W
  • Complete an Indoor Cycling session of over 30 minutes developing an average power over 306.53 W
Bkool's contradicting itself there.:wacko: It should be using the figure of 306.53W as its basis for power levels, which would leave you only hitting red when you feel like you're in the red!! (I'm an Active 6 as well). But for reasons only known to Bkool it is obviously ignoring the figure which it has given you and is using a much lower FTP figure. :blink:
FTP.jpg

OP
OP
borchgrevink

borchgrevink

No help from Bkool... Anybody knows how these zones are calculated?

Asa Post

Super Iconic Legend
No help from Bkool... Anybody knows how these zones are calculated?
I suspect that this may be a question that a lot of users have wondered about, so this explanation is intended to be generally applicable to everyone.

The zones are percentages of your FTP, and they seem to be the same percentages as those devised by Andy Coggan. His reason for choosing these percentages can be found here.

Bkool calculates the zones automatically, and while it is not possible to directly change your calculated FTP, it is possible to override those zones and input your own.

On the Bkool website, click on your name and then select "Profile" from the drop-down list.
There are four tabs on the Profile page. The fourth one is "Fitness Level". Click on it.
The page gives details of your current level, and at the bottom of the page lists your current working zones for power and for pulse (or heart rate, as I usually call it).
Click on the Pencil icon (to the right of where it says POWER (or PULSE).
The maximum and minimum wattages for each zone are now visible, and can be changed to whatever figures you wish.
Don't forget to click "Save" when you've finished.

For most people, Bkool's calculation should be fine - but @borchgrevink seems to be a special case because he hasn't done a formal FTP test on Bkool, so it doesn't base the calculations on the correct FTP.

@borchgrevink - if your last FTP value was 294 watts, I think your zones according to Coggan should be:
z1 0-162
z2 163-221
z3 222-265
z4 266-309
z5 310-353
z6 354+

bridgy

Legendary Member
I've never taken an actual FTP test on Bkool either, although it is calculating accurate zones for me, so it does seem that something's specifically wrong with borchgrevink's power zones. That is really useful to know you can manually change the zones though Asa Post

Top Bottom