Workplace cycling club

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Oxo

Guru
What, exactly, does a wellbeing advisor do?
They are better known under the title of 'town crier' proclaiming -

Oyez, Oyez , Oyez. It's 9 o'clock and alls well.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
If a ride leader shouted "clear" when it wasn't and someone was struck by a car, then I wouldn't call them spoiled if they sued.

I would.
There's no excuse for not taking responsibility for ones own actions.
If you were handed a gun and told to point it at your head and pull the trigger after it's owner told you it was empty, would you?

Fwiw I was mainly referring to the culture of suing every Tom Dick and Harriet because of ones own stupidity.

Brandane

Legendary Member
The motorcycle group of which I was a member has gone from being a very active internet site with regular weekend meet ups around the country, to being almost disbanded. The reason being that members are too scared to organise and lead a "group ride" these days due to the fear of being sued in the event of a member being injured (or worse) during an organised event. I believe there is case history of exactly such shenanigans having occurred. Even if the ride organiser was subsequently cleared of any wrong doing, IMO it is not worth the months or years of stress while the legal system sorts out the blame.

Personally, I wouldn't take on the task of ride/group/club organiser, be it a motorbike or bicycle based one. It's all very well saying it's just a group of work colleagues meeting up for a ride, but a court of law might see it differently. They are after all not renowned for making decisions based on common sense.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
While lots of people have talked about the downsides, there might be an upside to organising more formally (e.g. affiliation with one of the national bodies might allow everyone to have cheaper membership of them). worth investigating, imo.

pclay

Veteran
While lots of people have talked about the downsides, there might be an upside to organising more formally (e.g. affiliation with one of the national bodies might allow everyone to have cheaper membership of them). worth investigating, imo.

Agreed. If you you register your club with British cycling, then you have to pay about £100 a year and you get full liability insurance. This would mean introducing a membership fee though, unless your company is willing to pay it.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Agreed. If you you register your club with British cycling, then you have to pay about £100 a year and you get full liability insurance. This would mean introducing a membership fee though, unless your company is willing to pay it.
The group I was part of was affiliated to the CTC - at the time, that gave everyone a saving of ~£30 on full membership.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I believe there is case history of exactly such shenanigans having occurred.
Everyone believes it but few have actually bothered to look at the cases.

Even if the ride organiser was subsequently cleared of any wrong doing, IMO it is not worth the months or years of stress while the legal system sorts out the blame.
That's the sort of scaremongering that sees people scared out of clearing snow from paths or cutting branches back from footways and cycleways. Do you really want to give in to it?

The affiliation fees are piffling if there's a few of you, sponsors and/or donors. The more serious drawback in my opinion is the organisers will have to do a load of bureaucracy but still have limitations on the insurance that means simple rides aren't covered - to be fair, opinions vary about whether that's limitation or liberation (CUK/CTC example - I've not looked as closely at HSBCUKBC's requirements because I don't support them).

Top Bottom