'Works V8'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I have seen a price tag of £195,000 mentioned :eek:

https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic76932.html

Drago

Legendary Member
Yeah, nearly 200k.

Not the worlds nicest V8 in a plarform that was past its best 30 years go. Bowler, who are now owned by JLR, are doing better for less.

For 195 gees I'd be in a G Wagen, notmsome creaky old shed that will likely require welding for its first MOT at 3 years old.

And all this bollards about the Defenders 70 year legacy is crap. The 90 and 110 appeared in the late 80's - I was there in the 80's, and it wasn't 70 years ago. They were all new, apart from the engines - new chassis, supsensionm axles, gearbox, and whike the body looks very similar and some parts can be swapped about with minor work, it was actually different. Then the Ninety and One-Ten received new engines in the early 90's and finally ditched the last carry carry over components as it became the Defender.

Ok, I can quite buy in to an ethos and product lineage going back 70 years, but the Defender was no more in production for 70 years, as the media fondly like to claim, than the Mk8 Golf has been in production for 47 years.

Last edited:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I have had a couple of dealings this week with people who have transplanted Cummins 5.9b series diesel engines into various Land Rovers ...... It's a crazy old world for sure

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Blimey, there is some marketing guff on there:
A beautiful analogue dashboard clock designed and crafted in collaboration with adventure watch-maker Elliot Brown is a reminder of this vehicle’s capability and exclusivity.
It's a clock on the dashboard FFS, not a button which converts the car, transformer like, into some bipedal monster capable of laughing in the face of any terrain.

Last edited:

gbb

Legendary Member
Surely another example of some people have more money than they know what to do with and are looking for somewhere to spend it...and manufacturers are simply producing products to exploit it. It's not the manufacturers fault is it ?

@Drago
Yes, I'd sooner have a Bowler, or an IBEX (even 6x6 station wagons are, or were, available)

I'm with you, on your comments, having owned a few, from a 2A Light-Weight, up to a 110Td5 Station Wagon

G-Wagon?
If they'd build me an original spec 5-door 'wagon', as it was back in the early 80's, even down to steel-wheels/vinyl seats
Yes please!
Like the one I saw in Malta (Silent City..... Medina??), in October 2018

Last edited:

Gunk

Guru
A profitable way of getting rid of a load of surplus parts.

DRM

Guru

DRM

Guru
I wonder how long it'll be before some enthusiast builds one from a scrap Rangie & an elderly Defender, on to a galvanised chassis for a fraction of the price, I know one was built to the last production spec Defender out of an old Defender, and Transit engine bits, it was in one of the L-R comics, it's pathetic that they painted it in Camel Trophy colours to make it look like one of those truly iconic Land Rovers from the eighties/nineties events, that genuinely are a one off, as a company they really have lost the plot, and seem to have the opposite Midas touch to their products, bringing out the wrong car, at the wrong time, it's hard to believe they once propped up the ailing British Leyland shambles single handedly

@Drago
Yes, I'd sooner have a Bowler, or an IBEX (even 6x6 station wagons are, or were, available)

I'm with you, on your comments, having owned a few, from a 2A Light-Weight, up to a 110Td5 Station Wagon

G-Wagon?
If they'd build me an original spec 5-door 'wagon', as it was back in the early 80's, even down to steel-wheels/vinyl seats
Yes please!
Like the one I saw in Malta (Silent City..... Medina??), in October 2018
View attachment 573896
Theres still a good few of those about, bloke in town near me drives one. The posh version with hand tooled leather still shows itself in England at least and with the huge emissions tax the ones bought second hand and owned by lesser paid mortals have not held value.
The new one is plastic crap much like the Landcruiser became, a Tonka toy.

D

Deleted member 26715

I have a friend currently trying to buy an old LandRover, an itch that has to be scratched he claims, he keeps sending me links to ones he's looking at, then goes sees them & they are just a pile of poo for a stupid amount of money.

He sent one which he didn't go see, a 1958 built on a Discovery chassis with a RangeRover 3.5 V8 in it, the only thing that was 1958 was the date of registration on the V5C

Strange how Land Rovers became so precious, my brothers and I used to buy them for £2,000 or less, run them into the ground on an inlaws farm and punt them on.
I owned an IIA and could watch the tarmac passing by through a large hole in the floor. There was a scrappers outside of Leek, they used to pile them on top of each other, if the place still existed it would probably have razor wire, guard dogs and an espresso machine in the reception now.
Its like the VW bus nonsense, "oh its special, let me give you all my worldly goods and here, take my arms and legs too".

Last edited:
Top Bottom