World Championship 2019 Yorkshire......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The waterfall at Cray was in spate!
This is it in a reasonable summer

https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/16710

Trentin went with 200 metres to go, that’s a long way out, especially with 260km in your legs. However, even if he had gone later I think he would still have been beaten judging by the gap Pedersen opened up on him

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
For a while, until Moscon was dropped, I was considering the possibility that we could end up with a champion even more unpopular than Valverde.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Loved the weather and the fact that the crowds donned waterproofs and snorkels to watch.

Topped off with a Dane winning it. 😁

Adam4868

Guru
Will he win another race next year?
We should have spotted his build-up this year though. The only race he's won in 2019 is the Iceberg Tour - ideal prep for Yorkshire

https://www.procyclingstats.com/race/gp-d-isbergues/2019
Don't know,but that was his time for sure ! Feel for Trentin who you'd have thought,him aswell that he had that nailed.Confident enough to sprint from a bit too far out....age over experience took it though.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Going back to the Eekhoff DQ for a minute.

This kind of thing* is unsurprising given cycling's woolly application of rules about drafting - sometimes we allow it after a crash, sometimes we might allow it a bit. No, no - not that much!

Looking at the videos it did seem he was taking the P. But look at the video of stage 19 of the Vuelta and try to spot the difference.

* Down with it

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Going back to the Eekhoff DQ for a minute.

This kind of thing* is unsurprising given cycling's woolly application of rules about drafting - sometimes we allow it after a crash, sometimes we might allow it a bit. No, no - not that much!

Looking at the videos it did seem he was taking the P. But look at the video of stage 19 of the Vuelta and try to spot the difference.
What video are you thinking of? I've looked at three (Vuelta, GCN and Eurosport) and found nothing remotely similar to Eekhoff's 2+ minutes whizzing through town and country behind a lone team car not in the convoy.

My recollection of the Vuelta one was the gaps between the Valverde group, the green jersey group and the red jersey group were right on the minute threshold and the race directors did not trigger barrages quickly (which I think usually happens when a gap is less than a minute, but not when it was created by a crash) so each gap had a convoy in them and yes, there was a bit of questionable shuffling of team cars between those convoys in a way that helped the chasing groups, but it was nothing like we saw on Friday. If anything, the Vuelta team cars engaged in a bit of unsportsmanlike behaviour while the race directors turned a blind eye to allow it to cancel out Movistar's unsportsmanlike behaviour of hammering the race leader while he was down.

Also, the rule on drafting (regulation 2.12.007 section 4.7 if you want to download https://www.uci.org/inside-uci/constitutions-regulations/regulations ) is that "Sheltering behind or taking advantage of the slipstream of a vehicle" is subject to a CHF200 fine per infringement for a WT rider (100 for U23), CHF500 (200) for the driver and CHF500 (200) for the DS, but "in cases of repeated infringement or aggravating circumstances, the Commissaires' Panel may eliminate or disqualify a rider". I expect the Vuelta case had a few fines handed out and no further action from the Panel, but I've not checked.

So in other words, the rules seem to have been followed correctly in both cases, as going on to chase down the breakaway and win probably qualifies as "aggravating circumstances" doesn't it? Whereas at the Vuelta, it feels like the aggravation was all from Movistar who weren't sheltering - it would have been a tougher case if a Movistar car had reacted to the non-barrage by overtaking the lead group and motor-pacing it!

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
What video are you thinking of?
So in other words, the rules seem to have been followed correctly in both cases
I can't be precise about what video. Just some footage I saw of riders (including I think Lopez and possibly also Roglic I don't recall) sheltering behind the cars. That's the "questionable shuffling" you referred to.

I'm not suggesting that the rules weren't correctly applied in the Eekhoff case - he was bang to rights. I am suggesting that the continuum of application of these rules - including riders who blatantly draft a car until a watching official blows a whistle, and a blind eye being turned to questionable shuffling makes cases like this unsurprising.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I can't be precise about what video.
Then please don't write "look at the video" if there is no video! :cursing:

I am suggesting that the continuum of application of these rules - including riders who blatantly draft a car until a watching official blows a whistle, and a blind eye being turned to questionable shuffling makes cases like this unsurprising.
Having two levels of punishment for different severity of offence doesn't make it a "continuum". Is there any reasonable interpretation of "aggravating circumstances" which would either lead to disqualification also being applied for convoy-hopping when making the way back after a crash or not being applied for a 2+min high-speed lone-car pacing?

I think the debate should be whether the higher sanction maybe should be more easily applied before the race finishes and the panel meets, thereby avoiding the rider influencing the race further, not that there is significant confusion between convoy-hopping and motor-pacing.

Top Bottom