World Championship 2019 Yorkshire......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rliu

Veteran
Oh what a surprise "Fury at 'atrocious' damage to the Stray"

https://www.harrogateadvertiser.co....ng-uci-cycling-events-in-harrogate-1-10024211

I mean having a lot of common people walking all over it will never do...
God what a horrendously NIMBYist town, this damage they're up in arms about is just people walking on wet grass and some of it being trampled into mud as a result.

Seems that every small town resident choose to live where they are due to some reactionary fear of modernity, society and the rest of humanity. Well I for one would be more than happy if every major cycling event ends up finishing in London instead.

DRM

Guru
This could only be happening in Bread & Dripping City!!!

DRM

Guru
God what a horrendously NIMBYist town, this damage they're up in arms about is just people walking on wet grass and some of it being trampled into mud as a result.

Seems that every small town resident choose to live where they are due to some reactionary fear of modernity, society and the rest of humanity. Well I for one would be more than happy if every major cycling event ends up finishing in London instead.
You’re absolutely right, it’s the national capital of NIMBY’ism, lots of big words that are designed to make it worse, all they have to do is let it dry a bit and run a roller over, and would you dream, the grass will grow back!

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler

"We fear that the full restoration of Harrogate’s wonderful Stray will take a very long time."
It looks like my lawn did after the builders messed it up during the spring this year. I jumped up and down on it a bit, prodded it a bit with a fork and reseeded it. It took about a month or so to recover.

We Londoners would welcome major cycling events. I speak for myself and also London taxi drivers, who are famous for their love of cyclists and all things to do with cycling.

rliu

Veteran
"We fear that the full restoration of Harrogate’s wonderful Stray will take a very long time."
It looks like my lawn did after the builders messed it up during the spring this year. I jumped up and down on it a bit, prodded it a bit with a fork and reseeded it. It took about a month or so to recover.

We Londoners would welcome major cycling events. I speak for myself and also London taxi drivers, who are famous for their love of cyclistsn and all things to do with cycling.
Quite, why would one take an 8 hour return train journey to North Yorkshire when there are plenty of cabbies, BMW drivers and phone zombie pedestrians one can confront closer to home?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
They call that wet or damaged? Move them to West Norfolk. Some local grassland is underwater as planned flood mitigation and about 3,000 homes were evacuated for this morning's high tide, but the wind dropped so the defences held. https://www.itv.com/news/anglia/2019-10-01/flooding-avoided-at-high-tide-west-norfolk-coast/

Whatever happened to Yorkshire Grit? Harrogate shoot more like, there!

DRM

Guru
They call that wet or damaged? Move them to West Norfolk. Some local grassland is underwater as planned flood mitigation and about 3,000 homes were evacuated for this morning's high tide, but the wind dropped so the defences held. https://www.itv.com/news/anglia/2019-10-01/flooding-avoided-at-high-tide-west-norfolk-coast/

Whatever happened to Yorkshire Grit? Harrogate shoot more like, there!
To be fair a lot of the fields/farm roads between York & Harrogate are flooded too

tom73

Guru
Harrogate is an odd place It's in Yorkshire but sort of lives in a world of it's own. It's preserved in a sort of bygone age by the heavy smell of lavender scented note paper and moth balls. With cucumber sandwiches and little fancies thrown in.
The rest of Yorkshire is happy to welcome you any time. :okay:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Everything as it used to be is perfect. Don't come up with new ideas. Don't inconvenience me ever. Tossers!

I would be very interested to see the figures for what effect the Tour de France stages and subsequent Tour de Yorkshire have had on tourist numbers in Yorkshire. I would be very surprised if they haven't shot up over the past 5 years... [PS YES!]

As for The Guardians' otherwise perfect 'Stray' being damaged by public access in wet weather... It might help if they did something to improve drainage so it didn't become waterlogged in heavy rain!

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
There was a song in the 60s or 70s called "You and me" or something similar which characterised Harrogate as a centre for old peoples homes. I've googled for the lyrics but can't find it. The singer foresaw being sent "to a little home in Harrogate where we'll play patience all day, until we fade away".

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I've been thinking about this drafting issue. If I was in charge of the UCI I would implement a rule whereby no cyclist can draft behind their own team car at all. You're welcome to surf through the convoy but if you crash and use your team car to get back into the peleton, you're disqualified. Otherwise we will perpetually be in a situation where each individual instance of drafting a team car will have to be separately adjudicated during the race.

I'd also introduce a rule about how bottles are handed out of the car. Something like the person handing them out must hold the bottle by the neck so as to minimise rider assistance

Top Bottom