World Championship Mens RR *Spoiler*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Etiquette says you shouldn't spoil it for those that don't know yet or plan to watch it later by revealing the result in the title. Its usual to put "Spoiler" in the subject line and choose a subject line that gives the topic but doesn't reveal the result so that people can avoid finding the result accidentally.

Hip Priest

Veteran
Etiquette says you shouldn't spoil it for those that don't know yet or plan to watch it later by revealing the result in the title. Its usual to put "Spoiler" in the subject line and choose a subject line that gives the topic but doesn't reveal the result so that people can avoid finding the result accidentally.

If you want to avoid the result of a major cycle race, surely the onus is on you to avoid visiting a cycling website?

Buddfox

Veteran
If you want to avoid the result of a major cycle race, surely the onus is on you to avoid visiting a cycling website?

I suppose that's why it's an etiquette thing. As a courtesy, it's not a great trauma to put spoiler in the title. People may have their browser already on this page and accidentally refresh, for example. It's generally accepted behaviour on sports fora not to reveal results in thread titles, as has consistently been done here (Tour, Vuelta and, of course, the pre-existing World's thread).

Hip Priest

Veteran
Well it sounds silly to me mate. If I wanted to avoid the result of an FA Cup final between Liverpool and Man Utd, I wouldn't walk into a Merseyside boozer after the game and tell everyone to shut up.

The onus should be on the result-avoider, not everyone else.

martint235

Dog on a bike
I came on here to check the status of a couple of rides I'm involved in while I was waiting for the highlights to start. Now I don't think that makes it my fault that someone effectively posted the result in the title of a thread. Cheers for spoiling it

Noodley

Title changed, and for future reference please do not reveal race results in thread titles. Thanks.

Noodley

The highlights are only being shown now on BBC1, previosuly available live on red button - but not everyone has access to red button.

Anyway, there is nothing to argue about - just don't do it!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Doh! Obv no spoiler here... hope no-one saw this without knowing the result!
I did, I'm pissed off, I reported it to the mods and now the title has been changed! :angry: (Thanks mods!)

I'm not going to get into a discussion about how stupid and selfish the deliberate spoiler thing is, and I don't have to justify why I can spare a few minutes during the day to add to my ongoing contribution to this forum but I couldn't spare the time to watch the Men's race, having already spent 3 hours catching up on yesterday's racing.

I'm just telling you that this kind of thing ruins the viewing pleasure of many people and to argue about is to basically be saying "Piss off, I don't care about you and your stupid feelings, moron!" which is selfish and rude.

When my friends tell me about a fantastic new murder mystery, they don't start off by saying "The butler did it with the candlestick, because he was in love with the maid!", they would say "It is a really exciting and intriguing book - you must read it"

martint235

Dog on a bike
I did, I'm pissed off, I reported it to the mods and now the title has been changed! :angry: (Thanks mods!)

I'm not going to get into a discussion about how stupid and selfish the deliberate spoiler thing is, and I don't have to justify why I can spare a few minutes during the day to add to my ongoing contribution to this forum but I couldn't spare the time to watch the Men's race, having already spent 3 hours catching up on yesterday's racing.

I'm just telling you that this kind of thing ruins the viewing pleasure of many people and to argue about is to basically be saying "Piss off, I don't care about you and your stupid feelings, moron!" which is selfish and rude.

When my friends tell me about a fantastic new murder mystery, they don't start off by saying "The butler did it with the candlestick, because he was in love with the maid!", they would say "It is a really exciting and intriguing book - you must read it"

+1 to all of that. And just to respond to the "Don't look at a cycling forum" idea, CC is by and large a recreational cycling forum. Racing is a small, but obviously important, part but there are far more reasons to be on here than to discuss races.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom