World Champs Flanders 2021 *Spoilers*

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
  • Sunday, September 19 – Elite Men’s Time Trial
  • Monday, September 20 – Elite Women and U23 Men’s Time Trials
  • Tuesday, September 21 – Junior Women and Junior Men’s Time Trials
  • Wednesday, September 22 – Mixed Team Time Trial Relay
  • Friday, September 24 – U23 Men and Junior Men’s Road Races
  • Saturday, September 25 – Junior Women and Elite Women’s Road Races
  • Sunday, September 26 – Elite Men’s Road Race
No Olympic Champ Rog in the TT
Stellar field though with WVA, Ganna, Kung and Dennis to name but 4

Profiles for the road race. Looks ... er ... Flandrian
Yes!

But I read that the organisers have tried to avoid the classic routes, to show-off some different roads/scenery. I'm no expert to judge the success/fail of this ...

Notable that the World Track Champs are at Roubaix, a stone's throw away (late October?)

T4tomo

Guru
Its an interesting route, in that its and A-B or rather A-L, then some laps of L city centre, then a big loop, then more circuits f L, then the loop again and then more L laps to finish.

Definitely a nod to making it easy for spectators to see more than just one "wizz past" piece of action.

Undulating understates it, will require decent tactical variation and communication to prevail, as well as good legs.

Are they allowed team radios in this?

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Cavendish has entered, I cant see him having much chance of winning it with that route.
How many will even finish? The attrition rate is usually quite high.

T4tomo

Guru
Cavendish has entered, I cant see him having much chance of winning it with that route.
How many will even finish? The attrition rate is usually quite high.
Yes, but high attrition is usually down to riders getting in a position that they can no longer win, or support their team as they are either off the back of the peloton with no hope of getting back to it, or a break is so far up the road it wont be caught. Its not like its a stage race, where you need to finish to be on tmrs start line. Shite weather also sometimes a factor in making that decision to stop, plus as a one day race it is longer that pretty much any tour stage.

Cav is a long shot, but was in decent form on ToB, so if he gets in a break or it comes down to a bunch sprint he has a chance. He cant do big long hills, but rolling short hills he can. I haven't looked in detail to see if there are any really steep ramps on either loop or circuit that might do for him though. Hayter also in good form.

WVA must be favourite though and J AlaPip much fancied.

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Yes, but high attrition is usually down to riders getting in a position that they can no longer win, or support their team as they are either off the back of the peloton with no hope of getting back to it, or a break is so far up the road it wont be caught. Its not like its a stage race, where you need to finish to be on tmrs start line. Shite weather also sometimes a factor in making that decision to stop, plus as a one day race it is longer that pretty much any tour stage.

Cav is a long shot, but was in decent form on ToB, so if he gets in a break or it comes down to a bunch sprint he has a chance. He cant do big long hills, but rolling short hills he can. I haven't looked in detail to see if there are any really steep ramps on either loop or circuit that might do for him though. Hayter also in good form.

WVA must be favourite though and J AlaPip much fancied.
Matt Brammier says he's not expecting Cav to finish

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Just read that

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/qu...great-britain-give-others-a-chance-at-worlds/

"I don’t think anyone is going to be a protected rider. Obviously, we’ll have the guys we lean on at the start of the race to cover early moves but with Cav, I don’t think he’s going to go to the finish. I think that it’s unrealistic to say that he’ll go to the finish of a Worlds like this.
Could it be an attempt at kidology, trying to make Cav prove him wrong? I think Cav prefers belief, though.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
My (very wild) theory is that Cavendish is going to get into the early break.

Why?
Well it takes the pressure off the other GB riders who won't have to chase it down, and will instead cover any further chase groups, not needing to work in them to bring back the break. There is enough quality for several chases to be covered without burning too many matches, and as long as the right groups are followed, the GB rider should have enough left in the tank to make or follow the decisive attack at the end.

And that is why he was in the break on the Tour of Britain this year. To get some practice in.

I think Cav is mainly there for his experience, and will be the captain on the road, but everyone will be wary of him given how many of these races he has been in, and his performance on the 2021 Tour de France.

Top Bottom