World Champs Road Races - SPOILER

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Flying_Monkey

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Sorry but I disagree and stick to my opinion. A world champion had to be someone who is better than the others, with the right credentials. Like I said, Cav is only a printer and may I say the best printer in the world, but no road champion material.

You seem to to be building a straw-man or having an argument with an entirely imaginary point-of-view though. No-one here thinks that winning the World Champs means that you are the best cyclist in the world. It just means that you won the race which is called the World Championships. And in any year, that will depend on the kind of course, the supporting team for any rider etc. And given those factors, this year, Mark Cavendish has a very strong chance of winning. If he is, he will be 'World Champion', he won't suddenly be the 'best rider in the world'.

beastie

Guru
Sorry but I disagree and stick to my opinion. A world champion had to be someone who is better than the others, with the right credentials. Like I said, Cav is only a printer and may I say the best printer in the world, but no road champion material.
Total mince

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Well, I seem to be the only one to have strong ethics about professional cyclists. So be it. I still think the WC should be decided on points over the whole season.

beastie

Guru
Well, I seem to be the only one to have strong ethics about professional cyclists. So be it. I still think the WC should be decided on points over the whole season.

Well I think that is not a bad idea. There is already a ranking for the year based on a points system. Phillipe Gilbert is number one, which is probably right.

Keith Oates

Janner

I think you'll find that there are quite a few others on this forum that have strong ethics about professional cyclists and they also recognise and fully understand what winning the World Championship race means!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
Flying_Monkey

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Another win for France in the junior men. They are also having a pretty damn good World's so far. The senior women are up next...

OP
OP
Flying_Monkey

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist

For someone who has Descartes as their sigline, you seem to have a remarkable inability to distinguish basic concepts like the difference between what is and what should be, never mind what 'ethics' means.

Fiona N

Veteran
well, i am going to go against the flow here but personally, I dont think Cav is world champion material. Dont get me wrong, I like the man but he is only a sprinter. He cant TT, he cant climb and he cant break free from the peloton on his own.
Like I said in another thread, I believe the world champion should be someone who is a near complete rider so that rules out Cav I am afraid.

But that's would be the case for Cipolllne - are you saying the great Italian stud wasn't a valid World Champion ?

I think it depends on the course - pure sprinters have a chance on the flatter courses and more rounded sprinters like Boonen, Bettini and Hushovd on hillier courses. But it so often comes down to the team doesn't it, which is why Italy almost own the (men's) title.

oldroadman

Veteran
All Gavroche demonstrates is a complete lack of understanding of the sport. The Worlds is what it is, it's 260km and can be hilly, lumpy, or flat depending on location. It's about team racing to get an individual win, which is why the Italians are successful, because they are good at dedicating themselves to their protected rider.
You may as well suggest Grand Tour winners are more complete because they can climb and TT, but rarely sprint.
Like many from my generation, I would have loved a leading role in a team with a chance at the win, but it was not going to happen. A year in rainbow hoops is a great entry on a CV!

Top Bottom