World Champs Road Races - SPOILER

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mr Mag00

rising member
yes just been hearing about this looking for highlights, good news a great sprint finish i hear

raindog

er.....
Yes, the main events aren't until the weekend but already, something you might not have expected: there is a victory for Britain in the Junior Women's RR - Lucy Garner absolutely stomping on the rest of the field in a sprint finish.
Isn't she great? Barely 17. I think we can say we're almost churning them out at the mo.....
biggrin.gif

bettiniphoto_0089515_1_full_600.jpg

OP
OP
Flying_Monkey

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
The U23 men's also looks to be coming back together for a sprint finish, and although the senior RR is on a longer course, this pattern may well be repeated. If it is, and Cav stays with the main peleton, and this seems more likely with a full GB team supporting him, it's hard to bet against him. The big threats come from either Gilbert or Hushovd or someone like them, launching a late attack to disrupt or pre-empt a sprint.

raindog

er.....
Another medal with Andy Fenn taking third, but the French were superb with Arnaud Demare winning and Petit taking silver.

Alot of pushing and shoving for the last couple of ks - going to be mayhem on sunday.

OP
OP
Flying_Monkey

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Another medal with Andy Fenn taking third, but the French were superb with Arnaud Demare winning and Petit taking silver.

Alot of pushing and shoving for the last couple of ks - going to be mayhem on sunday.

Britain is having a pretty good World's.

You are right about the potential for argy-bargy - the field is going to be enormous and, as the saying goes, there will be blood.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
well, i am going to go against the flow here but personally, I dont think Cav is world champion material. Dont get me wrong, I like the man but he is only a sprinter. He cant TT, he cant climb and he cant break free from the peloton on his own.
Like I said in another thread, I believe the world champion should be someone who is a near complete rider so that rules out Cav I am afraid.

raindog

er.....
Not sure what flow you think you're going against here. If Cavendish wins on Sunday he's world champion, if he doesn't, then he isn't, but it's got nothing to do with whether or not you think he's a complete rider.

OP
OP
Flying_Monkey

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Not sure what flow you think you're going against here. If Cavendish wins on Sunday he's world champion, if he doesn't, then he isn't, but it's got nothing to do with whether or not you think he's a complete rider.

Exactly. It isn't a question of 'worth', just who is actually likely to win in any given year.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Sorry but I disagree and stick to my opinion. A world champion had to be someone who is better than the others, with the right credentials. Like I said, Cav is only a printer and may I say the best printer in the world, but no road champion material.

Bayerd

Über Member
Sorry but I disagree and stick to my opinion. A world champion had to be someone who is better than the others, with the right credentials. Like I said, Cav is only a printer and may I say the best printer in the world, but no road champion material.

I'd always wondered about the black fingers.....:biggrin:

Whilst I agree with your sentiment, the race doesn't involve all riding tests so you're unlikely to see the complete rider as world champ.

Top Bottom