World Cycle Challenge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

adds21

Rider of bikes
Apologies if already posted, I couldn't find it here.

Anyone fancy this? It's only £34,000, but it's not all bad, there is a 10% off offer on at the moment, book early!
http://www.bikeradar...how-2011-31917/

I bet some will scoff at this rather sanitised/supported around the world ride :whistle:

I just asked the wife if I could go... she said no.

Probably fair enough really, I would have been a little upset if she was fine with it!

GTTTM

urgh - as a newbie, who's find a 10 mile spin a challenge the fully supported bit would take the challenge out of it. Surely one of the joys of such challenges is..well the challenge of it all, the planning and everything. Actually I reckon the planning is almost as fun as the "doing"...............bet it wouldn't cost that much if you planned it yourself either........

stephenjubb

Über Member
good luck to anyone doing it, but too restrictive to me (which obviously it needs to be to work). It is cycle this route, 100 miles a day, with these people, with this kit.

A large part of Bicycle Touring is all freedom, flexibility, choice, sometimes escaping from people in your own country, your pace, your budget, going in a group or solo, where you want to stay, what kit to carry and doing it cheapy as possible within reason etc.

For me the all of the above is what I love about Bicycle Touring, in a nutshell there are no rules. such a tour offers none of that so doesn't appeal to me.

However everyone is different and regardless of the above, anyone who does complete 100 miles a day for 9 months with 1 rest day a week does deserve respect and can only be beaten by anyone doing it self supported.

Anyone doing it though should be aware of the advantages and disadvantages of the proposed expedition, but if your a newbie with no experience and plenty of cash it is perfect.

hubbike

Anyone doing it though should be aware of the advantages and disadvantages of the proposed expedition, but if your a newbie with no experience and plenty of cash it is perfect.

any rich newbies reading? don't listen! Even in the wealthiest countries 120 quid a day will get you the finest food/accommodation going. And after the first month you'll be an experienced cycle tourer anyway.

In 13 months touring I spent about £7,000 and that includes a few mountaineering trips and safaris.

stephenjubb

Über Member
any rich newbies reading? don't listen! Even in the wealthiest countries 120 quid a day will get you the finest food/accommodation going. And after the first month you'll be an experienced cycle tourer anyway.

In 13 months touring I spent about £7,000 and that includes a few mountaineering trips and safaris.

Any rich newbies? do listen, if you do not want to do any planning and want the easy route!

sparkyman

Kinamortaphobic
this is a proper RTW challange http://www.greatbikeride.com/globalbicyclerace/index.htm

The above seems to me to be the soft option and 100 Mile a day won't get you in the Guiness book.

that said wish i had the money/freedom to try...

Sparkyman

stephenjubb

Über Member
and are really boring buggers

+1
laugh.gif
tongue.gif
whistling.gif
thumbsup.png
wave.gif

worldcyclechall

Hi I'm the Challenge Director for the World Cycle Challenge, glad to see we have stirred the passions of the cycling community!

I hate to sit on the fence but to be honest both arguments are right, this is not the same as jumping on your bike and heading off into the sunset and we are not pretending to be a substitute for that, people who do that have our respect! We are also not a race, people who want to race / beat the record should do Vin Cox's race it's perfect for them. Our trip is for people who want to see the world by bike but don't have the time to plan it and want the safety, security and comfort of a professional back up team.

Yes it's expensive but there is a huge logistical team behind the riders, a doctor, physio, cook, driver, two logisitics bods, a 24/7 manned office in the UK. We also sort and pay all the flights, visa's etc etc. All this doesn't come cheap but we thought if we are going to organise this we should do it properly. To give you an idea Mark Beaumonts cycle around the world cost him approximately £25,000, at the moment you can do it with us for £29,500 so for an extra £4,500 you get everything sorted for you, for some people out there that is a great option.

I like to think of it like this, anyone could go and run a marathon at any time they want to but thousands choose to pay to do the London marathon because they provide drinks, medical back-up, toilets, a planned route, encouragement, training advice and many other things, we are just doing the same with round the world cycling.

Sorry for the long response. If we see you on the way round we will shout you a cup of tea and a bowl of pasta!

Cheers

Crispin

yello

Fair dinkum response in my book. I can see what Crispin is saying. It's a 'book it and turn up' holiday - no worries or planning. So be fair guys, that amount of planning and support is never going to be cheap.

IF I had the money (and I'd need to have a sight/site more dosh than that to be able to afford to spend that amount on a holiday!) then I would be interested.

The FFCT (French cycling bods) are doing 5 month Paris to Peking for €13,000... but that includes a bike!

The cost seems fair enough for what you get. It's no different to the many organised / supported rides available which many people do, just on a bigger scale. Wouldn't be my cup of tea mind.

Planning on a 20 month world tour with Mrs D as soon as we manage to prise the last couple of kids out of the house and that will in a very 'relaxed' style.

memoman

urgh - as a newbie, who's find a 10 mile spin a challenge the fully supported bit would take the challenge out of it. Surely one of the joys of such challenges is..well the challenge of it all, the planning and everything. Actually I reckon the planning is almost as fun as the "doing"...............bet it wouldn't cost that much if you planned it yourself either........

Couldn't agree more. Being unsupported is part of the fun. If I was part of a supported ride then I'd feel like I was cheating!

Top Bottom