World record attempt, almost there...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Greenbank

Über Member
StuWW said:
I do hope Julian Emre Sayarer's record attempt is made null and void.

His blog rantings may make him look like a frothing loon, but he has still cycled around the world in record or near record time.

His latest tweets show that he has taken the stops into account, and that GWR have acknowledged that fact. However, both Beaumont's and Bowthorpe's published times were elapsed times (without removing time for stops) so we don't have anything to compare it with yet.

StuWW said:
Julian, your a twat!

It's "you're a twat!" not "your a twat!".

StuWW

It's "you're a twat!" not "your a twat!".

Thanks Greenbank speeling and punktewaytion waz nevor my strong pooint!

I've got total respect for anyone who can cycle round the world.

But regardless of the stops and starts argument his record should be voided purely on the grounds of his vitriolic outburst on Mark Beaumont.

Calling Mark a **** just because he chose the bank sponsored TV documentary route for his record attempt is just not on.

Everyone has the right to an opinion, but to deride a fellow cyclist on the grounds that he doesn't follow Julian's way of thinking is just shocking.

We as cyclists are under enough pressure from the press and the likes of TV chef James Martin, lets stick together folks.

Feel the love!

Greenbank

Über Member
ComedyPilot said:
If he submits 'sans stop times', what is to stop Beaumont and Bowthorpe re-submitting theirs?

Maybe they did but it was just easier to quote their elapsed times to the media as it is more obvious.

Maybe Julian has taken this into account and has got the new record. That's my point, we don't have all of the facts so we'll just have to wait.

dpiper

Then of course there were those remarkable high speed days in Spain to consider...

(see data in earlier post)

Greenbank

Über Member
dpiper said:
Then of course there were those remarkable high speed days in Spain to consider...

(see data in earlier post)

I'm not sure why you're so hung up on this. There are plenty of explanations why a "follow my progress" website isn't completely accurate as I think I mentioned in one of the threads. He'll either have the appropriate proof-of-passage in order to satisfy the GWR scrutineers or he won't.

jitensha

StuWW said:
But regardless of the stops and starts argument his record should be voided purely on the grounds of his vitriolic outburst on Mark Beaumont.

Calling Mark a **** just because he chose the bank sponsored TV documentary route for his record attempt is just not on.

Hi StuWW,

I think Julian Sayarer is a first class Twat and I've posted some comments here and on his blog to that effect. However, I disagree strongly with your line of reasoning that his attempt should be voided on the grounds of his outbursts. That's the kind of thinking and logic that got Muhammad Ali stripped of his world title. Sayarer is entitled to his opinion no matter how much anybody disagrees with it. His record attempt should be determined soley according to the GWR rules. Anything else would be grossly unfair.

Garz

Squat Member
Lets just wait and see what the 'official' verdict is then before continuing the discussion..

Anyone know how long it takes for GWR to ratify it?

'I'm not so competitive a person to believe that anyone's achievements are made lesser or greater on the basis of speed'

Sounds like he's warming up for a 'I'm not worried about not getting the record, I wasn't trying that hard to go fast' blog post.

adscrim

Veteran
Blog Comment said:
Can I point out that gushing hatred of the way things are is simply not going to motivate any kind of change? The world is full of whingers, it's nothing original, and it just breeds more whingeing. If I wanted to read more sarcastic whingeing, I'd go and look at the comments sections of the Guardian website.

I didn't read the whole blog entry, but this quote from the second comment sums up the previous entry rather well. A possible entry to the best put downs thread!

Top Bottom