World record attempt, almost there...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

amaferanga

Veteran
We can only hope that a physically gifted cyclist comes along soon and shatters the record and shows Beaumont et al up as the total amateurs they are.....

I'd like to see someone like Jure Robic have a crack at it :ohmy:

Greenbank

Über Member
amaferanga said:
We can only hope that a physically gifted cyclist comes along soon and shatters the record

Did you see this:-

dpiper said:
Other readers may be interested in Vin Cox's www.greatbikeride.com principally because this is the first time a cyclist with a pro / racing pedigree has taken on the challenge. I’m sure Mr Sayarer will be mortified to hear that Vin is doing it for charity and is accepting as much corporate sponsorship as possible

rich p

ridiculous old lush
amaferanga said:
We can only hope that a physically gifted cyclist comes along soon and shatters the record and shows Beaumont et al up as the total amateurs they are.....

I'd like to see someone like Jure Robic have a crack at it ;)

I personally prefer it to be an amateur 'record' as it's fairly meaningless in its own right. Too many variables for it to be otherwise.

Garz

Squat Member
Agreed (rich).

Once it gets popular and the pro's start then support, sponsorship and equipment start to take over making the record just another.

stewie griffin

Über Member
rich p said:
I personally prefer it to be an amateur 'record' as it's fairly meaningless in its own right. Too many variables for it to be otherwise.

Maybe 18K miles round an indoor track would cut out variables making it more controlable & therefore more "meaningful"?

RTW Yachting, the route & especially the weather can vary massively, meaningless also?

Just maybe the variables are part of what the record is about?

rich p

ridiculous old lush
stewie griffin said:
Maybe 18K miles round an indoor track would cut out variables making it more controlable & therefore more "meaningful"?

RTW Yachting, the route & especially the weather can vary massively, meaningless also?

Just maybe the variables are part of what the record is about?

I'm not trying to have an argument about it. It's just my opinion. You are more than welcome to yours.
To me a record where there are so many variables is unimportant but good luck to the well-meaning amateurs who want to push the boundaries.

stewie griffin

Über Member
rich p said:
I'm not trying to have an argument about it. It's just my opinion. You are more than welcome to yours.
To me a record where there are so many variables is unimportant but good luck to the well-meaning amateurs who want to push the boundaries.

Argument? This is a discussion...no? Can't you hear the soft, slow tone of my voice.:ohmy:

I'm merely trying to point out (seeing as you keep repeating that these attempts are somehow flawed by variables) that at the start line, luck aside, everyone has exactly the same chance of setting a record, all the choices are part of what the record is about, especially the route.

All the RTW records, no matter by what mode of transport had many choices to be made, "variables" if you like, does that make them all worthless?

I can't imagine a way you could make every attempt identical, or a reason why one would want to.

snorri

Legendary Member
stewie griffin said:
With RTW yachting, the route can be seen to go round the world, selecting the timing for the start is part of the challenge in order to get the best conditions at various points along the way. Most of these events seem to start and finish in the English Channel, so each attempt is readily comparable with previous efforts. The challenges are easily understood by the general public so interest a wider audience than cycle RTW events which don't even include the same continents, the fact that aircraft and ferries are also used means that cycle RTW challenges confuse the general observer and will appeal only to a few enthusiasts.
I'm with richp on this.:ohmy:

rich p

ridiculous old lush
stewie griffin said:
Argument?
All the RTW records, no matter by what mode of transport had many choices to be made, "variables" if you like, does that make them all worthless?

I can't imagine a way you could make every attempt identical, or a reason why one would want to.

Not worthless, indeed worthy but not true records in a comparative sense. As I said previously, good luck to them and I enjoy its amateur, gung-ho status. I have no interest in making them serious and identical - I'm not sure where you got that impression from.

stewie griffin

Über Member
"Not worthless, indeed worthy but not true records in a comparative sense."

I'm not sure what you mean, not true records? Someone is the fastest or they are not? Compared to what, a track record? There isn't a comparison.

I would imagine after more attempts are made a "fastest route" will become the same one everyone uses, at the moment it's still early days.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
stewie griffin said:
I would imagine after more attempts are made a "fastest route" will become the same one everyone uses, at the moment it's still early days.

i agree. eventually a naturally standardish route will come up time after time. personally i would like to see the rtw get 'serious'. surely it would mean better coverage. when i was following james daily, it was frustrating, whilst understandable, that his blogs were not updated daily. as it gets more serious it will be more interesting from an armchair.

dpiper

The variables are what makes this so fascinating surely? Over such a long distance and time the variables will by their nature even themselves out, e.g. the guy on the lightweight racing bike was ahead in the first week then it broke and he lost two days to the guy on the sturdy tourer, etc.

Its a 'race' so full of compromises, but again with the time & distance even luck plays a less significant part e.g. you could get a 50 mph tailwind and smash out the LEJoG record under two days, but you wont get consistently lucky or unlucky over 6 months.

Incidentally Vin Cox is funding all of his trip from his own pocket with a few kit freebies thrown in. I dont think this event is ever going to be 'ruined' by paid professionals, lets not forget that pro's are still human but just better cyclists than the rest of us.

adscrim

Veteran
Freddie said:
Even if just a little self righteous, at least he has a personality, unlike dry as dust Beaumont.

Why does someone need to be an ass before they are considered to have a personality?

Top Bottom