"World series" cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Keith Oates

Janner
I have many thoughts about the article but no real solution. I consider that the UCI should remain in over control of all racing etc. and if the teams are not happy with the present management then they should push for another candidate to take over the reins. However that candidate should be independent of any financial ties or influence with the actual teams. I don't think it's unreasonable for some of the money that goes to ASO etc. should be passed over to the teams but they have to be careful as some races are also struggling to find sponsors and keep running each year. The teams themselves should be more open and honest in what they are saying and doing. The opposition to the ban on race radios is always being quoted as being on safety reasons and one of the leaders in this is Vaughters, who after one race last year, when one of his riders won, he was interviewed post race and all excited at the result and saying how he was using the radio to keep his rider motivated. The drug situation is also affecting sponsorship for the teams but not all of them are prepared to refuse signing on riders who are known to have been tested positive or missed tests more than once. There are many other points that could be raised but that's some of the ones I consider that need looking at.

The way I read the situation, not this article by the way, but another is that the real power now lies with ASO to decide who they run with. Furthermore, that if the World Series wins over then many of the older traditional races, mostly classics (some of which already struggle financially) will go under in favour of new markets, probably just about anywhere you can imagine: Jupiter, the Arctic Circle etc.

Don't like the idea of it much and hope the UCI turn their fortunes around and perhaps overhaul themselves. I don't trust Vaughters...don't ask me why.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
f the World Series wins over then many of the older traditional races, mostly classics (some of which already struggle financially) will go under in favour of new markets, probably just about anywhere you can imagine: Jupiter, the Arctic Circle etc.

Actually, it's the UCI that's pushing new markets (and I am not against that at all). The proposed World Series is very much envisaged as sticking with established markets. However the 4-day stage race format being mooted might pose a danger to the Classics, but more likely to shorter stage races like the Tour of Britain, Tour of Poland, Eneco Tour etc.

This has come about largely because of the general incompetence and dictatorial style of the recent UCI management. It can still be avoided with reforms by / to the UCI. I am definitely not in favour of the very dull format of the proposed World Series and I don't think it will find much favour with people who love cycling.

beastie

Guru
Actually, it's the UCI that's pushing new markets (and I am not against that at all). The proposed World Series is very much envisaged as sticking with established markets. However the 4-day stage race format being mooted might pose a danger to the Classics, but more likely to shorter stage races like the Tour of Britain, Tour of Poland, Eneco Tour etc.

This has come about largely because of the general incompetence and dictatorial style of the recent UCI management. It can still be avoided with reforms by / to the UCI. I am definitely not in favour of the very dull format of the proposed World Series and I don't think it will find much favour with people who love cycling.

Agreed. However you cut it though Mcquaid seems well entrenched, he'll be hard to get rid of. i think he sees himself as I see him as Blatteresque. The man and his cronies need to go.

OP
OP
Noodley

Noodley

Pretty much my view as well, McQuaid and his cronies look almost immovable and are not serving the interests of cycling well. Perhaps it is frustration at this reality that has led to the World Series being put forward as a (not too well thought out) option?

oldroadman

Veteran
As usual, it's about money (teams want more) and power (teams want their own way).
A World Series league would possibly enrich a few people, may affect the established races as big profit operators move in with races which may even clash, tire out the riders from too much racing, and outside of the few teams which may take part, do nothing but harm to the rest of the sport - which includes people who post on here. Sounds a really good idea, promoted by Messrs Vaughters and Bruyneel, allegedly, who don't appear to be scraping along penniless right now.
It's a question of if you didn't have the UCI someone would have to invent it, and they actually do quite a lot that goes unnoticed to keep the sport going - and latterly to drive gard to getit/keep it clean, or at least cleaner than a lot of professional sport. Set up such an organisation and the people who rise to the top will be similar to those there today. Please don't confuse ability on the bike with political and asministrative/regulatory ability, that mistake was made by BC members at a presidential election some years ago, and BC nearly went broke!
All it needs is a bit more BC style from UCI, that is more open and accountable, because there's not a lot that's so wrong. Compared to FIFA and other international governing bodies, they actually are not bad at all. Just an easy target!

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
All it needs is a bit more BC style from UCI, that is more open and accountable, because there's not a lot that's so wrong. Compared to FIFA and other international governing bodies, they actually are not bad at all. Just an easy target!

I think it's more the point that almost all the governing bodies of sport are run by hideous wannabe politicians - you only have to look at the more than superficial resemblance between Sepp Blatter and Silvio Berlusconi... separated at birth?

People put up with everything that these organisations do badly (the corruption, the bribery, the looking away as rules - and sometimes laws - are broken) so long as they do that one thing they are supposed to do, adequately. But they shouldn't. Not in football, and not in cycling. And I suggest that the only thing that really makes FIFA may worse than the UCI is that there is more money involved in football. It is just a question of scale.

oldroadman

Veteran
Interesting comment, but as is always so, we get the government we deserve. For instance, whaich wannabee politician would you want to see gone from BC? There is a way to do something about it. Get involved, and stick your head above the parapet. I'm no lover of officialdom at times, but I do have some regard for the people who run the sport, simply because they are commited. In fact I know two people who are directors at BC, through friends, and one thing that happens is they work very hard for the sport. For modest expenses only. If any look at this forum, they could probably confirm that. Corruption? Before making wild allegations, proof or reasonable evidence. Not an allegation lightly made, if you like your house, which might just be worth enough to cover the costs of the libel action!

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Corruption? Before making wild allegations, proof or reasonable evidence. Not an allegation lightly made, if you like your house, which might just be worth enough to cover the costs of the libel action!

Sorry - I wasn't talking about national bodies, rather the international ones, which are removed from most direct systems of accountability - even if such things exist - at national level. I wouldn't make any accusations of corruption against BC (and I also know a couple of people who've been involved - unlikely that I could be these days, from Canada...), but the evidence is at least indirect for the UCI (look at the saga of Armstrong's 'donation') and pretty damn certain for FIFA and the IOC. At least the UCI doesn't have the power to suspend national laws as both the latter now seem to think they do...

Top Bottom