World Tour - Questions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jay clock

Massive member
You have had lots of food for thought, but my 2p worth

1 26" wheels for toughness but more specifically for ease of spares/replacement. I would also go for flat bars not drops - less to go wrong with the shifter/brakes and easier to cobble a fix in an out of the way place

2 Exped Downmat - a personal thing but I cannot cope with Thermarests. The Downmat is stunning

3 www.crazyguyonabike.com - simply the best site out there with TONS of info and inspiration.
http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/Friedel and http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/bikearthride

are two great ones. Victor did not make it all the way but for fantastic reasons......

4 I have a Koga Miyata World Traveller which I would not hesitate to use. I met another KMWT user last week who took his for 7 mths to South America

Go for it

tourdottk

Hi Chris,

just bumped into your post, thought I'd reply a little:

1. Russia would be very difficult to get into and to get around in, lots of paperwork, loads more money.

2. Do you have the right of abode to Canada? Otherwise it would be very hard to stay here for that long. Also due to the US regulations to get into North America. The Canadian customs officers give everybody coming in with a bike a very hard time...

3. It looks like that would certainly take anywhere between five and ten years, especially when you plan to stop and work for a while.

4. What is a good bike? We are cycling around on two 14 year old machines (1x Sun Vertik, 1x Ridgeback 604GX and they are not top notch bikes!) and they are still going strong (40,000 km this trip). Nothing state of the art, easy to fix, steel frame, no shockers, no disc brakes...
But definitely with 26" wheels! Standard Shimano gear will do, nothing too new!

5. We buy tyres while we go. Set off with Schwalbes, but have now found CST, a lot cheaper and still a lot of miles. Kevlar helps, but you'll get flats anyway :smile: Slicks would do fine for the first part of your trip, it makes real a difference in pedalling.

6. A good wheel builder can build a great wheel without you having to fork out tons of money. A crappy wheel builder can ruin even the best rim and spokes (and your wallet).

7. 8 speed cassette will do. You can find that easily everywhere. (9 speed might be too new for a lot of developing countries, where 7 speed is hard to find, even in remote areas (we have 7-speed, so I know))

8. Ortlieb! There is just no better brand. You will certainly need four bags and a duffel bag on the back for your tent/sleeping bag. Remember, you'll need a water filter, all-weather clothes, cooking equipment and that all ads up, so you'll need the space.

If you need more info, please take a look at our site or drop us a mail!
Ciao from Huancayo, Peru,
Aaldrik and Sonya :biggrin:

amaferanga

Veteran
I'm curious as to anyone would think the East coast of Africa, and in particular Sudan down the east side are impassable? That's news to me. Following the east coast or west coast exactly would be difficult, but when people say down the east or west coast of Africa I always assume that they don't actually mean following the coast.

Also don't quite get the advice that Angola and Congo (not sure if this referred to DRC or Congo). Angola has been accessable for years - I almost went there in 2005, but decided against it due to what I had been told about the cost and availability of hotels. There're still mines, but provided you stick to well used roads and tracks then it would be safe(-ish). Congo and the DRC may well have crap roads, but those are just the sort of roads most people would expect in many parts of Africa. If you've got the right bike there aren't many impassable roads. I would find it hard to believe that there aren't trucks moving around most of the Congo that would give a cyclist a ride for an appropriate fee.

What I do agree with though is the fact that planning now for a trip through Africa in 3, 4 or 8 years time is almost pointless as things could and probably will be a lot different (new borders open, currently open borders closed, civil wars, etc.). So by all means spend a bit of time researching it, but planning a route in any detail would be pretty pointless IMO.

laertes

I know a guy from another forum who is going around the world at the moment. His website is www.worldwidebikeride.com He has been on the road for 2 years and done 20,000 miles so far. His route was to cross Europe to Turkey, through central Asia into China, a loop down to Thailand / Laos, back to China, Korea, Japan. Then he flew to the US and is going from the north coast of Alaska down the west coast to Tierra del Fuego. Across to South Africa and roughly up the east side. He is currently in Oregon. He updates his blog and photos every couple of weeks.

OP
OP
C

chris__P

Thanks for all the help and advice people. Just to let you all know, I am starting my round the world trip TOMORROW!!!!!!!!

I worked all winter, got a few savings, got a few vaccinations, bought a map and I'm off! Words can't really describe how excited I am right now. Just been to see my bike - its a Surly Long Haul Trucker - being put together by Brixton Cycles who have done a great job. Its a fantastic bike. Amazing.

I've got a blog for anyone who is interested - sorry if it makes you jealous, hopefully it will inspire! http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/world

Thanks again
Chris

HelenD123

Legendary Member
chris__P said:
Thanks for all the help and advice people. Just to let you all know, I am starting my round the world trip TOMORROW!!!!!!!!

I worked all winter, got a few savings, got a few vaccinations, bought a map and I'm off! Words can't really describe how excited I am right now. Just been to see my bike - its a Surly Long Haul Trucker - being put together by Brixton Cycles who have done a great job. Its a fantastic bike. Amazing.

I've got a blog for anyone who is interested - sorry if it makes you jealous, hopefully it will inspire! http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/world

Thanks again
Chris

You can't make me jealous. I'm heading off to Canada in a few weeks! ;) Have a really great trip.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Yeah, have a great trip. I'm jealous enough for Helen as well.

stephenjubb

Über Member
just seen your proposed route, you really are missing out on hell of a lot by not doing the northern part of scotland.

why don't you ditch the Aberdeen eastern part of scotland (unless you have reasons to do so) and do the northern part, similar amount of miles and maybe a little more time given it is hillier, but you will experience far more.

On the plus once your in Europe you will see scenery like it.

good luck and you will enjoy it.

stephenjubb

Über Member
just seen your other map for northern europe, very doable, this could take you at leat 4-5 months. Are you aware when you get to Iceland in September the weather really does start to get bad?

Have you prepared for this cold weather, looking at your kit list I could not be sure?

Just a thought.

hubbike

All the best of luck Chris! its going to be epic!! just wondered a few things...
1) What sort of work are you hoping to do in canada and oz?
2) Love? make sure you leave room/time for this!
3) When you get back, aged 35, you know you won't settle. Right?

very envious. on a year long trip atm but planning for a life's worth of touring too...

Top Bottom