Worlds Longest

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
I'd like to know that too. The picture on the article is crap and I couldn't find a better one. Any of our antipodean contingent got a source, or better yet are going to the attempt and could get us some footage?

Also, why does it have to go 100m to beat the record of 35m? Seems it's one rule for the Dutch and another for Australians, political correctness gone mad I tell you!

Additional information
• The official length measurement recorded is the distance from the front wheel to the back wheel.
• Total weight of the bicycle without riders is 2.5 tonnes. The bike needs to be so heavy to be strong enough
to accommodate the flexing of steel that occurs over such a distance and not hit the ground.
• The bicycle consists of six detachable 6-metre sections plus a detachable front and rear wheel section –
making a total length of 41.9 metres.
• Top speed has been calculated at 10 km/h.
• It has 20 seats and 19 sets of pedals. The person steering is the only person not required to pedal. It has 20
interconnected bicycle chains with a combined distance of 90 metres.
• The front tyre is from an aircraft and the rear wheel is a custom made metal drum 70 cm wide.
• It is equipped with two sets of disc brakes fitted to the rear wheel that are operated by the last rider. Fully loaded
with 20 riders, the 4.3 tonne bike can stop in less than two metres.
• The bicycle was primarily constructed by Weldrite, a manufacturing workshop in northern Adelaide using the
technical drawings designed by University of South Australia students a staff. It took three weeks to
construct.
The Rules
• To qualify for a Guinness Book record as the World’s Longest Bicycle, Santos and the University of South Australia must comply with (and provide evidence of) a number of criteria. These include:
The bicycle must be ridden in the same way as a standard one and powered by pedal and chain
Have two wheels
Be ridden for a minimum distance of 100 metres continuously and unassisted and not touch the ground (excluding the front and rear wheels)
The distance travelled and bicycle length must be measured by a qualified surveyor in the presence of two independent witnesses
All documentation must then be submitted to the Guinness Book of Records for official verification

http://www.santos.com/library/Worlds-Longest-Bike-media-release.pdf

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
I've never been to Adelaide, although my family visited Australia when I was about 10. Judging from Google Maps, Rundle Rd looks long enough for such an atttempt, though:
https://maps.google.com.au/maps?q=Rundle Rd, Adelaide, South Australia&hl=en&ll=-34.922569,138.612324&spn=0.00804,0.016512&sll=-37.860283,145.079616&sspn=1.981943,4.22699&oq=rundle rd&hnear=Rundle Rd, Adelaide South Australia 5000&t=m&z=17

I hope the cyclists put a working bell or horn somewhere on it, though, plus a rear red reflector, or the local cops might book them. :whistle:
And helmets which the Dutch didn't have to wear. Extra weight.

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
How can he be a former cyclist if he's going to be riding a bike tomorrow? Born again? He's forgotten and doesn't want to do his first lesson on his own so has recruited a few mates to help out?
Ex Pro rider

Update
Where: Rundle Road, Adelaide CBD (please enter the road via the Dequetteville Tce end)
When: Saturday (tomorrow!) @ 10am

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
Taken just over an hour ago
Practice Run.jpg

Rear Wheel.jpg

Top Bottom