World's steepest street - Wales or New Zealand?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KneesUp

Guru
For a while now, Dunedin in New Zealand has officially been home to the steepest street in the world. However, Harlech in North Wales is now challenging it after they re-measured Pen Ffordd Llech.

Baldwin Street, Dunedin is 35%, but it is claimed that Pen Ffordd Llech is 36%

Decision due shortly - story here (from the Guardian - no secret Daily Heil links, you're ok)

I hope Harlech wins. I remember cycling most of the way up Pen Ffordd Llech on my 1980s Peugeot Premiere. I was maybe 15 metres from the top when a coach coming down forced me to stop, and I couldn't restart (I think it might be one way now?) Might have to go back and do it properly, but I guess that's the point of the publicity :smile:

OP
OP
KneesUp

KneesUp

Guru
I’ve just had a look on google maps. The road I cycled was just a very steep road in Harlech (Twtil) not Pen Ffordd Llech. So I’ll definitely have to go back. Not that I need much of an excuse.

EDIT - spulling mastakes

Last edited:

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I went to Dunedin in 2008 and it was around then I seem to remember that a street in San Francisco claimed to be the steepest?

*Edit - it seems that Baldwon Street is still official. They are measuring the Welsh one soon

Salar

A fish out of water
It's been on the Welsh news the past couple of nights. Not much happens in Wales.
Apparently it is 36%.

Are we going to see a film version with Hugh Grant modelled on a piece of old Welsh news "The Englishman who went up a hill but came down a mountain"

What with this in Harlech and Banksy in Port Talbot, Wales is definitely the news capital at the moment. :smile:

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
For the worlds steepest road. They went up against New Zealand, dismissing any other claimants.

Salar

A fish out of water
There is a video on youtube if you want to search for it of the unhinged cyclist on this hill.

(I won't post it on here because the background music includes bad language and swearing)

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
That's only a street.

There are steeper ones near me, but they are not classed as streets, or ignored because they aren't long enough.

Salar

A fish out of water
The section they were measuring on the news was the lane part of the street.:rolleyes:

As @Threevok says there are some very steep lanes and hairpin bends etc tarmaced for traffic in the Valleys.

Even Barry Island has a few steep hills.

Last edited:
Top Bottom