Worn cassete sprocket

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Is that merely a commercial reason that they are not sold in singles
To make you buy a full new one
I likely keep the used one and attempt uo use a sprocket from it when the new one wears
Its not for financial reasons...it just seems a waste
So long as that is ok to do
You used to be able to get single sprockets from Rose, when they still sold to the UK.

The problem with keeping a used cassette and trying to use sprockets from it when the next cassette wears is that your favourite sprocket wears out first, so you'd end up trying to replace the knackered sprocket from one cassette with the equally knackered sprocket from the other.

OP
OP
L

Lookrider

You used to be able to get single sprockets from Rose, when they still sold to the UK.

The problem with keeping a used cassette and trying to use sprockets from it when the next cassette wears is that your favourite sprocket wears out first, so you'd end up trying to replace the knackered sprocket from one cassette with the equally knackered sprocket from the other.
Yes Andrew I
agree with that .....thats when I thought about keeping the part worn cassete and trading sprockets with me mates when they get a part worn cassete
The logic being individual we wear the most used sprockets....but collectively his worn sprockets will differ to mine so hopefully they can be swapped over to gain two "used" but rideabe cassettes for a few more journeys
I only got my last "worn" cadre a couple months back so replaced with a new one without a 2nd thought
Hindset now suggest I should try to be more frugal due to costs availability and ultimately waste reduction

Ajax Bay

Guru
The logic being individual we wear the most used sprockets....but collectively his worn sprockets will differ to mine
Suspect you'd find, if you ever explored this that your most worn sprocket(s) will be the same one (assumes same size large chainring and that you're 'mates' (per OP) ie of similar riding style and average speed).
Btw, what's a worn cadre please? Have tried to essay typo options: maybe cassette? Who said it was worn?

OP
OP
L

Lookrider

Cadre should read cassette ( sorry)
I agree that I will wear the most used sprockets in a cassette....but do you think mates that use same drive train set up will also wear the same sprockets as me ??
I don't know for sure as I never trailed this as yet and not experienced
No harm in asking me mates to note what sprockets are worn down on a cassette and see if I have any replace for them

Ajax Bay

Guru
No harm in asking me mates to note what sprockets are worn down on a cassette and see if I have any replace for them
OK, well answer these two for us:
(1) which of your sprockets are (as you put it) "worn down"
(2) how will your mate "note" which ones of his sprockets are?
As far as the practical aspect of splitting the two cassettes and then reassembling: your 11-42 cassette has two spiders: 21,24,28, and 32,37,42. So the two candidate sprockets are 17 and 19 (in practice) - HTH.
http://www.gear-calculator.com/?GR=...32,37,42&UF=2215&TF=90&SL=2.6&UN=KMH&DV=teeth

Don't most cassettes these days have the individual sprockets firmly fastened together apart from maybe the smallest one or two?
Which would make clever swapping of sprockets rather difficult?

Yes I often used to see 11 and 12T sprockets sold separately but it never seemed economic to me - and it's not too long ago that I could get 8 speed cassettes for around £7 and 9 speed for £15 or less no trouble.

Reactions: C R
@Blue Hills agree. On the OP's 11sp 11-42 you'll see I identified the two sets of three sprockets on a spider which could not be swapped. I am in your 9 speed 'boat' but the OP's 11sp cassette is about £80:cry:
Long may the 9 speed boat and all who sail in her ride on - 9 speed is fine for most cyclists I think.

(sorry - not much use to @Lookrider , though can we ask what sort of riding you do/what the bike is - apologies if already mentioned)

OP
OP
L

Lookrider

OK, well answer these two for us:
(1) which of your sprockets are (as you put it) "worn down"
(2) how will your mate "note" which ones of his sprockets are?
As far as the practical aspect of splitting the two cassettes and then reassembling: your 11-42 cassette has two spiders: 21,24,28, and 32,37,42. So the two candidate sprockets are 17 and 19 (in practice) - HTH.
http://www.gear-calculator.com/?GR=...32,37,42&UF=2215&TF=90&SL=2.6&UN=KMH&DV=teeth

1...I don't know as yet which sprockets are worn but will use the advice on here ( from Alex) to find out ( when I have time ) I never bothered to note/mark the worn sprockets at time of diagnosis during service
I understand it may well be on the cluster/spider that a sprocket is worn so cannot effectively be re used
It was during service that mechanics noticed the slipping after new chain was Installed ( I was aware the chain needed replaced which was reason to have it booked in for full service) ) ...I was with them so agreed to a new cassete ...
Pre covid times this " worn" cassete would go straight in bin ...but now I'm trying to be a little more frugal if possible ( cost ..availability...environmental waste )

2...I can ask me mates to be aware if they need a new cassete to " note" which sprockets are worn down and if it's not on a cluster and single them maybe just maybe we could swap each others out
If it's not viable to do then the whole cassettes will go in the bin I guess and in future seriously consider the miche products

OP
OP
L

Lookrider

Long may the 9 speed boat and all who sail in her ride on - 9 speed is fine for most cyclists I think.

(sorry - not much use to @Lookrider , though can we ask what sort of riding you do/what the bike is - apologies if already mentioned)
No sure can supply
I have hard tail mtb
XT drive train
Ride decent distances at times 50/70 miles usually all off rd on abandnded rail tracks or forest fire tracks in the country around lakes and/or pennines as well as local run out in local NE area ..

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Just picked up a very lightly used SRAM PG850 for £23 delivered, compared to a shimano HG50 for £30. Went for the SRAM as it's alot lighter. Fortunately 8 speed, and single sprockets. SRAM secured by a hex bolt (which i take off as I bin the smallest two sprockets - wrong no of teeth), Shimano are riveted, so out with the dremmel.
I tend to get 12-26 cassettes and remove the 12,14 and replace with spare 13,14 sprockets (these don't get worn) as I'm on a 53 chain ring and don't need an 11 or 12 (road bikes)

I need to also replace sprockets on the commuter MTB soon, should have enough left over sprockets to adjust the ratio as I want smaller gaps. That's running 7 speed, with a couple of spacers on the freehub before the sprockets.

My SRAM equipped 10 speed cost me £70 for the cassette last year ! :ohmy: Up side, the previous cassette lasted 4 years.

No sure can supply
I have hard tail mtb
XT drive train
Ride decent distances at times 50/70 miles usually all off rd on abandnded rail tracks or forest fire tracks in the country around lakes and/or pennines as well as local run out in local NE area ..
thanks - doesn't sound too technical - if you have finances/room for another bike I think I'd consider building up a 9 speed based on an old 9 speed steel hard tail or even no SUS MTB. And at the risk of being profoundly unfashionable a triple.
Best of luck with current issue - not really my area of expertise.

OP
OP
L

Lookrider

Just picked up a very lightly used SRAM PG850 for £23 delivered, compared to a shimano HG50 for £30. Went for the SRAM as it's alot lighter. Fortunately 8 speed, and single sprockets. SRAM secured by a hex bolt (which i take off as I bin the smallest two sprockets - wrong no of teeth), Shimano are riveted, so out with the dremmel.
I tend to get 12-26 cassettes and remove the 12,14 and replace with spare 13,14 sprockets (these don't get worn) as I'm on a 53 chain ring and don't need an 11 or 12 (road bikes)

I need to also replace sprockets on the commuter MTB soon, should have enough left over sprockets to adjust the ratio as I want smaller gaps. That's running 7 speed, with a couple of spacers on the freehub before the sprockets.

My SRAM equipped 10 speed cost me £70 for the cassette last year ! :ohmy: Up side, the previous cassette lasted 4 years.
Very well done
That's taking being frugal ..and waste reduction to its limits
If I can be just 1 or 2 sprockets behind you I will be happy

I remember buying a cassette from aliexpress a few years ago and at the time you could order it with a spare 11T cog and I ordered 2 spare as they were only about 40p each on top of the price of the cassette. I think I ended up using one of the cogs with a different cassette as seemed to fit. Zitto brand comes to mind (yes not very inspiring name). Just basic steel cassettes. There are loads of individual cogs on aliexpress but of course whether they match the quality of the original cogs from Shimano and SRAM etc is another matter. Lots of fake stuff there. However I'm assuming my spare Zitto cogs are genuine Zitto cogs.

Top Bottom