Worn cassete sprocket

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lookrider

Hey folks
I have a 11/41 cassette that was replaced via a service for a new cassette
Can anyone tell by the photos which sprocket are worn
The logic is ...parts are now rare and maybe expensive so I'm thinking when a sprocket wears down on the cassette I use now then I will replace it with one on tbe worn cassette as I very much doubt each sprocket is worn to much
And am I also able to do what I'm proposing in theory...
Thanks

Attachments

• 20220216_155632.jpg
    20220216_155632.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 9
  • 20220216_155556.jpg
    20220216_155556.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 20220216_155608.jpg
    20220216_155608.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 20220216_155549.jpg
    20220216_155549.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 10

Cycleops

Legendary Member
You might not be able to tell by visual inspection, unless it's very worn. All you can do is try it, but might slip if you use a new chain, but might be okay with a used one.
Not sure you can buy the sprockets individually.

OP
OP
L

Lookrider

I thought I would have to.put it back to test it out ....its a shame to waste it if it only needs a new sprocket or two
If that's the case is it feasible that when one if me mates Same cassette wears a sprocket
can we at least then mix n match same size sprocket but from different bikes

OP
OP
L

Lookrider

I'm afraid you'll find it near impossible to get single sprockets to replace the odd worn one.
Is that merely a commercial reason that they are not sold in singles
To make you buy a full new one
I likely keep the used one and attempt uo use a sprocket from it when the new one wears
Its not for financial reasons...it just seems a waste
So long as that is ok to do

boydj

Legendary Member
If what you were asking was possible, I'm pretty sure someone would have come up with a solution by now. It may have been feasible in the days of five, or six-speed, but with more extended ranges it's unlikely.

If one socket is worn it's likely there will be more on the way out anyway and there is a possibility that the chain would skip on a single replacement anyway.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Best thing to avoid the waste is to replace chain before you need to replace cassette as well. A chain wear tool is what most use to facilitate this.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Cassettes pretty much come and go as a blob, all as one even though they do come to bits. If you see what I mean.

There are mix n match cassettes where you can choose your own sprockets to get custom gear ratios, but they are expensive. Miche make some I think.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Even I am looking to buy full 8 speed cassettes as my spare sprockets are diminishing. I still have a fair number of spare 8 speed Dura Ace sprockets left, but not lower end stuff. They fetch silly money now on ebay.

I recently replaced a 10 speed cassette and only 3 sprockets were worn. Unfortunately thats the way it is these days. Its eye wateringly expensive when you have big 12 speed mountain bike cassettes.

Roseland triker

Cheese ..... It's all about the cheese
I run a mix of two casettes using the harder metal content in high use areas.
It's expensive but does mean I have a long life with it changing the chain when it's worn .
Easier to just buy a complete cassette and new chain starting again with maintenance

Ajax Bay

Guru
As LWaB says. The sprockets which wear will normally (1x will vary with chainring tooth count and use) are those getting the most use (time x force x dirt)(mode and runner up): these are the 15/17t range.
https://www.rohloff.de/fileadmin/user_upload/3100_HG_Check_2019_10_de_en_fr_nl_es_it.pdf
For how a chain wears sprockets, see [edit] @Yellow Saddle's Cyclechat thread.
1645088389935.png

Btw buying a 'spare' cassette off someone is a mug's game. If they used it themselves, how do you know they're are telling the truth and if they haven't they don't know it's "scarcely worn". And you'll have no comeback if the chain starts slipping x00km down the road. You cannot tell by eye the state of wear of a cassette during its useful life.

Last edited:
Top Bottom