Worn chain or cassette? Any advice?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Tim330

Tim330

Right, parts ordered. Looking for a hangar supplier off ebay. Mine looks very common thankfully as it is bent.
Rear cassette was actually an SRAM, so ordered the PG950 and 971 chain. Chain whip and locking tool on their way.

Ajax Bay

Guru

OP
OP
Tim330

Tim330

Thanks, having a look. It says its code H on the back, Halfords only sell A, which looks similar but their picture is so bad, I can't tell.

https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bi...alfords-replacement-gear-hanger-a-159023.html

They do an online only one that looks similar too ..
https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bi...bles/clarks-derailleur-hanger-x-1-636978.html

Same ones appear on Ebay but I have sen comments that they used different ones depending on what batch was available.
2020-04-24 16.39.45.jpg

Attachments

• 2020-04-24 16.39.50.jpg
    2020-04-24 16.39.50.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 3
OP
OP
Tim330

Tim330

Could I have a bit of advice please...I have replaced the hanger, rear derailleur, cassette and chain, cleaned and lubed the whole thing.
However I cannot get it set up right without the chain jumping, rattling or rubbing. I have watched 3-4 videos onYoutube about it and they all contradict each other to some extent.

I have seen that I have to have the chain on the smallest cog of the cassette, and the largest of the chainring. Although others say the smallest, to set up the first limit stop.
the I have to unclamped the cable and push the mech across by hand to set the other limit stop. Or I don’t do this until I have set the cable tension.
or I keep the cable screw attached, wind all the cable tension out of it, pull it tight again and then set the indexing up.
Or I wind two full locks back off the cable tensioner, find a dead rat and sacrifice it to the prats who make these videos just to show off their carbon fibre mountains bikes.

Can someone just give me simple steps to follow to set up both derailleur please.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Could I have a bit of advice please...I have replaced the hanger, rear derailleur, cassette and chain, cleaned and lubed the whole thing.
However I cannot get it set up right without the chain jumping, rattling or rubbing. I have watched 3-4 videos onYoutube about it and they all contradict each other to some extent.

I have seen that I have to have the chain on the smallest cog of the cassette, and the largest of the chainring. Although others say the smallest, to set up the first limit stop.
the I have to unclamped the cable and push the mech across by hand to set the other limit stop. Or I don’t do this until I have set the cable tension.
or I keep the cable screw attached, wind all the cable tension out of it, pull it tight again and then set the indexing up.
Or I wind two full locks back off the cable tensioner, find a dead rat and sacrifice it to the prats who make these videos just to show off their carbon fibre mountains bikes.

Can someone just give me simple steps to follow to set up both derailleur please.
Check out this video. There's no better one explaing how to adjust gears.

OP
OP
Tim330

Tim330

Good video, thanks. The only problem now is that the chain doesn’t seem the right length. Again, perhaps too many YouTube instructions but...
I measured it against the old chain, removed link and fitted it, but couldn’t get the rear derailleur Jockey wheel not to foul the bottom of the cassette when in the smaller cogs.
removed a link but became convinced it was too short on the largest.
so back to start now.

MountainSide

Good video, thanks. The only problem now is that the chain doesn’t seem the right length. Again, perhaps too many YouTube instructions but...
I measured it against the old chain, removed link and fitted it, but couldn’t get the rear derailleur Jockey wheel not to foul the bottom of the cassette when in the smaller cogs.
removed a link but became convinced it was too short on the largest.
so back to start now.

Jockey wheel fouling could be the "b-screw" on your new rear derailleur. Just wind in the screw until it no longer fouls.

If you still don't get good shifting, I'd replace the cable. The rear section of rear derailleur outer cable at very least - the curve adds resistance with any wear.

Last edited:
Top Bottom