Worn chain or cassette? Any advice?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Depends on number of sprockets
I count 9, in which case I have always been happy with SRAM pg950.

Ajax Bay

Guru
If 9 speed (and only if you think you need to replace the chain), I'd choose one of these chains, but it's likely (6-7 years old and 'fair use') that you'd need to change the cassette at the same time.
KMC X9
or
SRAM 951
or
SRAM 971
In fact those are all good value at present: I might buy a couple.

OP
OP
Tim330

Tim330

So took the advice and stripped and cleaned the bike, the set all the gears. Was working reasonably well, although the gear change still felt sluggish. The rear derailleur was still a little twisted with the two jockey wheels slightly inwards but working ok.
Out for a ride today and the rear wheel quick release seems to have given way. The wheel bounced out and the whole derailleur mech went into the spokes! Managed to get it back together and reasonably straight but only two gears to get home!

So now I need to replace the rear mech which is a Shimano RD-M430. 27 speed. Can anyone recommend an equivalent as I guess the original is not longer available.
will fit a new chain as well, so any suggestions welcome.

I don’t know how easy it is to remove the rear cassette but if I could find that I’d do the whole thing.

Finally, to cap it off, two punctures on the way back. hawthorn goes through anything, but I had hoped the Schwalbe Rapidrob tyres were meant to be a bit more resistant.

vickster

Legendary Member
So took the advice and stripped and cleaned the bike, the set all the gears. Was working reasonably well, although the gear change still felt sluggish. The rear derailleur was still a little twisted with the two jockey wheels slightly inwards but working ok.
Out for a ride today and the rear wheel quick release seems to have given way. The wheel bounced out and the whole derailleur mech went into the spokes! Managed to get it back together and reasonably straight but only two gears to get home!

So now I need to replace the rear mech which is a Shimano RD-M430. 27 speed. Can anyone recommend an equivalent as I guess the original is not longer available.
will fit a new chain as well, so any suggestions welcome.

I don’t know how easy it is to remove the rear cassette but if I could find that I’d do the whole thing.

Finally, to cap it off, two punctures on the way back. hawthorn goes through anything, but I had hoped the Schwalbe Rapidrob tyres were meant to be a bit more resistant.
This mech?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shimano-...011505?hash=item5da0a33eb1:g:Bh4AAOSwc1JeWTDs

OP
OP
Tim330

Tim330

Yes that’s the mech, but it says it’s in Hong Kong...
the rest is 9 speed so if the chain is ok, will any sprocket set do?

do I need a puller to remove the cassette?

Ajax Bay

Guru
To remove and replace the cassette you will need a chain whip and a 'cassette lockring tool' (plus a large adjustable (or otherwise) spanner). Any 9 speed cassette will fit and work OK, but stick to the same number of teeth on the largest sprocket (eg 34t).

vickster

Legendary Member
Yes that’s the mech, but it says it’s in Hong Kong...
the rest is 9 speed so if the chain is ok, will any sprocket set do?

do I need a puller to remove the cassette?
Ah missed that. Can you use any 9 speed triple mech?

Ajax Bay

Guru
Triple/double is irrelevant (RD).
Any 21st century Shimano RD of 9sp or below will work: they have a shift ratio of 1.7 to 1. The number of clicks in a shifter/STI will determine how many sprockets it can shift across (8 clicks for a 9 speed mutatis mutandis).
An RD converts cable travel into sideways displacement. The STI/shifter pulls or releases a certain length of cable with each click and the mech converts that into a displacement that matches the distance between adjacent sprockets (pitch). For example: a Shimano 9-speed STI or MTB bar shifter pulls 2.5mm of cable with each click and the sprocket pitch of a Shimano 9-speed cassette is 4.35mm.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tim330

Tim330

Spec for mine said it was 11-32T. As I'm limited to mail order or Halfords I need to see what I can get there. Are there new versions of the RD that would fit?

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
If I were you I'd be sure to get a new hanger too. The old one will likely be bent from the incident.

Unfortunately, there are about 9 gazillion different versions of hangers, doo getting the right one may be problematic.

OP
OP
Tim330

Tim330

The spec for the Halfords one says its only for 7-8 spd. I’ve got 9.
with regard to the hanger, would that usually be a bike build part- or associated with the Shimano mech? I think it is a bit bent so nothing I’ll hang straight.

Attachments

• 2744692E-710F-4A99-BF41-F9C239D7240D.jpeg
    2744692E-710F-4A99-BF41-F9C239D7240D.jpeg
    60.5 KB · Views: 5

Ajax Bay

Guru
The spec for the Halfords one says its only for 7-8 spd. I’ve got 9.
Forgive my testiness, but have you read what I've written? Go ahead and rely on Halfords; or check the validity of my contribution, with it's yellow imprimatur ;) Maybe you'll trust Chris Juden (of CTC): https://www.cyclinguk.org/cyclists-library/components/transmission-gears/derailleur-gears/shimergo
Whatever RD you procure and fit, if you don't fit it to a hanger which is vertical in both axes (fore/aft and left/right) you'll find the shifting is never 'right'.

OP
OP
Tim330

Tim330

Sorry, don’t mean to make you testy,and appreciate the advice. Just ordered a hangar from EBay. Then it will all be straight and we start off rght.

Top Bottom